Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for an idea as to what the issue is here. I know I really screwed up when I accidently tried to jump my 2008 Avalon backwards (positive cable end to Negative battery terminal). It sparked and smoked. When I replaced the battery, the check engine light came on. I put the car in drive and could not accelerate out of idle/maybe a little above idle. Because the car is equipped with an intelligent Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) it says it will put the car in a Fail Safe Mode if one or both Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Signals are bad. When it does this, it limits the gas to the engine.

My best guess is the surge from hooking the cables backward fried the TPS sensor leading to the ETCS system to put it in Fail Safe Mode.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does this sound right for a 2008 Avalon?
  2. If so, can the TPS be replaced on the Throttle Body, or will the whole Body have to be replaced?
Thanks,
Robby

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Corolla
39 Posts
The most likely reason you cannot accelerate is the fuse is blown in the circuit. I can not remember the name of the fuse off the top of my head but it should be in the fuse box under the hood. If you have a test light go that route.

Try that first before jumping to replacing costly parts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked !!!! I replaced the 10 amp fuse for the ETCS and worked like a charm. Everything works in the car as it should. Thank you so much. However, my check engine light still remains. Any thoughts? Can I unhook and rehook the batteries to reset the light?

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Last I knew if the cause is corrected the light should go out after several (20?) start cycles. Or many auto parts stores will check your codes and perhaps reset it at no cost.

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,555 Posts
If you don't have a code reader that resets CELs, go to Auto Zone or one of those mass marketer parts place that does this have them reset the code. If it goes out - fine. If not - ask them to provide you with the code.

·
Registered
2014 Camry XLE
391 Posts
Stored for future reference: replace the 10 amp fuse for the ETCS

Turning off the check engine light: The easiest way to turn off the CEL (that I know of) is to head to Autozone (or nearest Autoparts Store) and have them hook up their OBD and reset the codes.

If you remove a battery cable, you will have to reprogram your Radio and probably a few other niceties.

:clap:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Corolla
39 Posts
Glad to hear it worked! Can't believe I couldn't think of ETCS fuse. But hey good work and yeah unhooking the battery for 10 minutes will work or a parts store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unhooking the battery worked clear the CEL. It has had 5 start cycles and has not come back. It appears I got off cheap.

I do have one other issue. The A/C blower isn't blowing fast. The air is ice cold, but the blower seems to be only at 50% of it's max RPM's. Is it possible that I blew the A/C fuse as well with this issue and it is in a fail safe mode? I've only had the car for a few days, and I can't remember if it had this symptom before I crossed the jumper cables or if it was pre-existing.

In parallel, I'm going to check the A/C fuses to see if any are broken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smae issue more problems though

Hello I did the same thing with a jump pack I read this thread replaced the ETCS fuse but now all the lights are still on after 2 days and when I accelerate too fast the power kinda cuts out as if i was hitting redline in a standard i have a 2005 avalon what would be causing this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts