1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
343 Posts
I seen someone had installed it elsewhere. They said it stiffened up the chassis a bit. And rightly so, as it extends all the way to the core support.

·
straight cash homie
18,701 Posts
Cusco makes quality stuff, definitely not the cheapest. I'm sure companies like Tanabe and even Megan will have their own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Megan racing's chr strut tower brace also fits our vehicles. It mounts to the top of the struts like more traditional bars, but is a touch more tricky to install (getting through all of the plastics at the bottom of the windscreen).

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,508 Posts

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,508 Posts
Thanks for this summary! Which did you get?
I did not get any at all... While upgrading to 2019 Camry 2.5 front coil springs, I noticed we already have a strut brace made of stamped steel.

Cusco would be the way to go if you insist on adding one... Overly soft suspensions and rear motor mount are what really need to be addressed, as I did.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did not get any at all... While upgrading to 2019 Camry 2.5 front coil springs, I noticed we already have a strut brace made of stamped steel.

Cusco would be the way to go if you insist on adding one... Overly soft suspensions and rear motor mount are what really need to be addressed, as I did.
My ES had a factory installed strut brace - it was formed/welded painted steel brace, and it was attached to two studs at each strut tower. I didn't see one on my Corolla hatch. Did you mean the cowl or firewall?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My ES had a factory installed strut brace - it was formed/welded painted steel brace, and it was attached to two studs at each strut tower. I didn't see one on my Corolla hatch. Did you mean the cowl or firewall?
If you remove the wiper cowl, you'll find it. It's not very impressive, but it's there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you remove the wiper cowl, you'll find it. It's not very impressive, but it's there.
Yeah, I believe that's the metal cowl (aka cowl assy) and the plastic cowl (aka cowl louver) sits on top of it... That is used to reinforce that area (body) but not for suspension improvements :geek:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I believe that's the metal cowl (aka cowl assy) and the plastic cowl (aka cowl louver) sits on top of it... That is used to reinforce that area (body) but not for suspension improvements :geek:
It is tired into the strut towers, but it is my no means impressive and could easily be improved. It will offer a little bit of flex control, but not anything to write home about. I've seen better strut tower bars on 90's GM FWD cars. lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is tired into the strut towers, but it is my no means impressive and could easily be improved. It will offer a little bit of flex control, but not anything to write home about. I've seen better strut tower bars on 90's GM FWD cars. lol
LOL for sure, my 90s Cavalier Z24 had a dedicated bar...

The cowl is a standard part on all Toyota models, I guess for the hatch they expanded it from tower to tower for extra rigidity, but that won't prevent strut mounts from moving as the cowl is really a part of the fender apron...

·
Registered
343 Posts
LOL for sure, my 90s Cavalier Z24 had a dedicated bar...

The cowl is a standard part on all Toyota models, I guess for the hatch they expanded it from tower to tower for extra rigidity, but that won't prevent strut mounts from moving as the cowl is really a part of the fender apron...

ROFL. That's the exact car I was thinking about. I had a 90 VL, 87 Z24, 88 Sunbird GT Turbo, 87 Z24 Convert, and 97 Sedan. Ah to be 18 and buy lots of stupid cheap GM's. It's no wonder I hate american cars now.

But if you remove the wiper cowl, you'll actually find a stamped steel brace tied in with the plates that attach around the strut tower. it's not very beefy, but it will add enough strength for the average commuter. The Cusco brace however, does look nice as it's a proper sized bar, and ties the strut towers into more points of the car.

·
straight cash homie
18,701 Posts
ROFL. That's the exact car I was thinking about. I had a 90 VL, 87 Z24, 88 Sunbird GT Turbo, 87 Z24 Convert, and 97 Sedan. Ah to be 18 and buy lots of stupid cheap GM's. It's no wonder I hate american cars now.
Those cars are in now, if you take them to shows like Radwood. I've always secretly like those Beretta GTZs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Those cars are in now, if you take them to shows like Radwood. I've always secretly like those Beretta GTZs.
Guy I used to play Forza with (SkyWarp72) has like 3 Beretta Indy's. But the GTZ was a better buy for the 2.3HO. I used the cam, intake manifold, and tb on my 2.4L bagged sedan. That car hurt feelings a lot.

Am I the only one here that thinks the Cusco bar bolting over both fuse boxes is an issue?
Should not need to get into the fuse box any time soon. But if you do, it's just a few bolts to pop it off.

·
4,910 Posts
When I switched to a DC Sports strut bar on my 9th gen, it improved handling. It sits lower than the OEM one. There are risers on the OEM strut bar.

Since the DC bar sits lower, I have to remove it when I do the vcg. It's not too difficult to remove.

How often are you planning to get into your fuse box?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
11 Participants
invader
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing