Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 94 coupe camry...right now my turn signals/brake lights are a mess, and at murrys auto parts, they have LED brake and turn signal lights. I was thinking about making some custom alterezza lights, just painting black over the existing lights, and placing the LED's underneath the clear plastic. doubt any one has ever done this but if so, recommendations/thoughts/opinions. here is a rough scetch, they LEDS will be more overlapping than in the scetch.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
youll most likely be flamed for doing altezzas, but I wanted altezzas once many years ago... just do what you want, it would most likely be pretty unique.

And yes, Gino (2wickedtoyz) made a very similar set not too long ago...

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
dysk8forlife said:
youll most likely be flamed for doing altezzas, but I wanted altezzas once many years ago... just do what you want, it would most likely be pretty unique.

And yes, Gino (2wickedtoyz) made a very similar set not too long ago...
He did a very good job on it.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks..i'll pm that guy. the LEDs are aftermarket at the store and there not that cheap...i'm done trying to figure out my mess so i'm just gonna build my light system from the ground up.

yea its ricey...but if anyones flames me...i'll just remind them my camaro will smoke em

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
Any one around here an "LED Expert" by chance?

In the future I plan on custom making an entire LED set up for my tails (pretty much starting from scratch; 3 or 4 lines of LEDs; alternating lighting scheme, etc...) and need some help with the actual LED part of things. Let me know.

·
kor-ro-ra?
97 Corolla 1.8L 5spd
3,288 Posts
Dont forget about Tony The Tiger he placed LED trucklights behind his stock lenses.

·
Registered
1999 Camry LE
106 Posts
I tried putting LED's in my Camry and because they drew so little voltage my car basically thought that the light was burned out so it would flash really fast. I messed around with it for weeks and eventually went back to some nice silverstars. Just my .02 That would be very unique though. If you're going to black out your lights I'd recommend VHT Nite Shades. Quality product if used correctly, made my tailights look badass. Good luck with whatever road you take.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
99Camry99 said:
I tried putting LED's in my Camry and because they drew so little voltage my car basically thought that the light was burned out so it would flash really fast. I messed around with it for weeks and eventually went back to some nice silverstars. Just my .02 That would be very unique though. If you're going to black out your lights I'd recommend VHT Nite Shades. Quality product if used correctly, made my tailights look badass. Good luck with whatever road you take.
That's resistance, not voltage.

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
I got those clear tails and I just finished installing an led kit in mine. I'll post pics when I get my damn car back from the shop...

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the resistance etc problem wouldn't be an issue b/c i would just wire each light up to a little flick switch on the dash and just scratch my stock turn signal system...my light system is Fuxked up

when the hazzards are on the lights alternate, the brake lights are the turn signals, and the the turn signals dont work.

but yea, the aftermarket LEDs come in a 5 or so inch circle premade light, and the turn signals are smaller, so i'd try and overlapp them like alterezzas, paint the background black and leave the clear shield (no just put them behind like that example above

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just thought of something...are the two sections where the brake/signals are, are those clear or is the plastic colored?

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
Im pretty sure theyre clear with a colored plastic insert that can be pried out, but I am not positive...

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sniperdude said:
I got those clear tails and I just finished installing an led kit in mine. I'll post pics when I get my damn car back from the shop...
cool thanks

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,979 Posts
Yea I think those color inserts underneath can be pried out. I know back some years ppl would pry out the orange part to make claer corners. I tried it once, but just ended up effing up the tail light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts