Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i'm kinda sick of not feeling anything ever since i installed my short ram intake a while back i took off the factory box and put on the short pipe and didn't feel much of anything SO i have resorted to making my own CAI. i have a few questions on where i should place the filter i pretty much have an idea on how to make it myself i just need some opinions on the best coldest places to put it...obviously somewhere in front but just bear with me....
.................................................................................................
i have taken off my plastic fender wells over time when i've lowered my car and put my body kits on so there is a gap near the wheels where i can put a filter possibly but not quite the coldest air source...or is it? OR i can take pipe from the intake mani. and wrap it around where the stock intake pipes went inside the fender and then bend it down and place a filter behind the small vent opening in my grill but that leaves an exposed filter to much more dust and possibly water being shot up in there which is not good obviously, another possiblity is to wrap pipe down in front of the motor by the front engine mount....keep in mind that i have a 4cyl so there is room down there but...again is there cold air even down there? um......i'd be interested to hear from you guys and your ideas and also it would be good to hear from sargedesigns guy to see where he wrapped his piping to....um......one other question....how much does it effect performance by having all that extra piping? longer distance for that air to travel right so .....? i figure that have a short ram CAI is the best way to go but that's pretty hard unless you have a hood scoop or something am i right? or if you could have a way to channel cold air up to your existing short ram that would be good as well but.....anyway leave your thoughts and lemme know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
a SRI.. short ram intake.... is nice.. but not enough gains... you'd get more gains with making a CAI a cold air intake..

as the colder air would be more beneficial..

but.. there is also greater chance of hydrolock with a CAI vs a SRI

in anycase gains with an CAI are more than a SRI... but the most you could probably get isn't much ..good luck though :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what exactly is hydrolock? how does that come into play with a CAI?

·
Registered
207 Posts
A little water splashing on the filter is no problem. You would have to completely submerge the air filter to hydrolock your engine. It may be an issue - if you happen to drive into a lake :lol:

Those short rams are great noisemakers, but they offer nothing good in terms of performance. I think you have the right idea by positioning the filter down in the fender well, kind of where the stock air intake used to be. You will definately get air thats colder than the engine bay air you're sucking in now. Good luck with your project.

- Paul

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
ericksonm said:
but.. there is also greater chance of hydrolock with a CAI vs a SRI
Not if you purchase an AEM By-Pass Valve.

You may want to check out my ad on eBay, I'm selling my custom made - cold air intake, here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7915927934

But as bassthrive stated, your really not going to have serious problems when driving, unless you use your Camry for your backing your boat into the lake. (And happen to submerge your front end!!!)

The location of my filter is behind the small right vent opening, cool air is constantly striking the air filter. Rocks RARELY enter into this area, and even if they were to they could, they could not hit hard enough to puncture the 'metal mesh' used on my, and most common, aftermarket conical-filters.

If you decide you don't want to spend hours, and hours, and HOURS working on making a cold air intake, I suggest you think about getting my intake, it's truly a quality piece of art work. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^ looks to be a nice one.. too bad i can't get it though for our camry.. ca. laws suck.. needs to be C.A.R.B approved.. but still not like one would get pulled over for such a thing.,..

that too i've heard about hydrolocking.. you'd have to practically submerge the filter to do so.. but yet there have been some people who claimed hydrolock..

there have also been conflicting issues with the AEM bypass

heres a neat thing on the AEM bypass...
http://www.everythingcelica.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=1870151668&Forum=All_Forums&Words="hydrolock"&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Main=1870141575&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1870151668

and more...
http://www.everythingcelica.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=1870116046&Forum=All_Forums&Words="hydrolock"&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Main=1870115984&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1870116046

in any case good luck with your project.. i guess it all depends upon how straight the pipe you'd have and if there would be any bends.. :wiggle: just note making your own intake isn't legal but then again its not like you'd get pulled over for such a thing...
Ca law :p: needs to be c.a.r.b. approved..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts