Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a prototype (read:cheap) CAI for my 97 V6 MT. So far I have the stock MAF inside a 3" ABS (that means plastic) pipe. It's sealed to the pipe just like factory intake, then connected to the throttle body. I have plumbed the 3" ABS pipe into the stock airbox for now, to remove the variables of incurring unexpected turbulence over the MAF.

The bad: Now the larger diameter tubing throws off the MAF sensor voltage past what the ECM can recover, so the car won't run too well yet. But it runs. Anyone out there ever modded their MAF sensor to accomodate the reduction in airflow (due to a larger diameter air intake duct)? My reasoning here is as follows: Small (stock) diameter intake=more air velocity over the sensor/large diameter intake tube=lower velocity over the sensor per square inch. I need to compensate for the reduced velocity of air over the sensor. Any (helpful) thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about using a resistor. Any idea what value resistor I should start with? I think you are saying, altering the input voltage signal (to the sensor) so that the output voltage signal (to the ECM) is altered as well. Is that covered anywhere else in this forum? Maybe on a forced induction thread? Thanks. BTW did you feel a difference by stepping up to the 3" pipe? I'm sure it sounds louder without the stock silencer(s) in place!!!

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
im really not sure what value it should be, so i cant help ya there, u should maby PM toysrme, he has some valuable knoledge reguarding electronics.

i didnt use the stock airbox, i put 3"tubing all the way down into the drivers side fender(CAI). what i noticed the most performance wise was throttle response and some megar power increase. the sound is what i got out of it the most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In brief, the MAF housing is the problem (or shall we say opportunity) with the 97-01 V6 sensor. The MAF is housed in the air box upper cover, specifically the tube (2.5" i.d.) leading to the throttle body. So I took out the MAF and put it into a larger (3") tube. So in essence what I did (thinking of a typical MAF in an aluminum housing) was to bore out the MAF housing, to where the MAF is not reading the amount of air it's calibrated for. I took some pics but TN says I can't post attachments. Any help with that and maybe this would shed some light on my weak explanatory skills. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I bonded in a 2.625" insert inside the 3" tube, around the MAF sensor, and sanded it all smooth. Fired it up and took it for a quick 2-3 mile spin. At first I was getting some light to moderate stumbles under light acceleration (through the neighborhood) but as the car warmed up and the ECM figured out what was going on, things were running well. Again, the stock inside diameter where the MAF is located is 2.5", so I guess the 3" was just too big for the ECM to compensate. But I stepped it up a little bit from stock with the 2.625" insert, and it sounds better to me without the silencer on the intake tube. So I'm happy.

The only thing which would make me happier at this stage? Right now I have the neg. battery cable disconnected to clear the MIL (you might call it a CEL?) code (I hope). When I tighten things up and take the car out again, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your support. BTW I said before I didn't see anything on the MIL, but then again I wasn't specifically looking for it either. Now I am just hoping the MIL isn't caused by the current setup. I am taking comfort in the fact that it was on as soon as I fired the motor, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the code(s) are caused by my previous foibles. Thanks again and I'll let you know soon.

Anyone who could tell me why I can't post pictures (maybe because I'm a noob?), your input would be appreciated. I would love to show y'all what the heck I'm talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts