Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I did in my spare time, check it out and let me know what you think. It started as a Scosche kit.

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
:wtf: That is freakin awesome!!!! Awesome job. You may have to post a DIY for this one. That looks great. Good job!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
55reasons said:
That's fucking sweet.

Seriously.

Awesome job on the molding.

Still fresh in your mind?

Room for another while you're still set up?
Actually thats the second one I have made, the first was with the AI kit and was not perfect (I'm a perfectionest when it comes to my truck).

I will condider making them, figure it takes me about 15hrs just in sanding, its a pain to get the gauges curves to blend right with the kit.

The pics don't do it justice, it was taken at night and the camera flash and shadows did not do my job justice will have to take better pics under natural light.

Figure there is about $100 in parts, dash kit, radio trim and metal frame, fiber bondo, about 10 tubes of epoxy, etc.

PM me an offer and I will think about it, first come first serve, would need to know what kind of radio you wanted to install so I could get the trim ring and metal frame.

Figure it takes me about 1 - 1/2 months to make one since its a side project.

As you can see I had to slide the radio in from the back side so the trim ring in integraded into the kit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, funny man. Lets see that would work out to be about....what $2 an hour?

Figure i have to relocate the radio to the lower pocket of the Scosche kit, which means I have to cut the hole bigger on the front, remove most of the rear pocket and mold the metal sleave into remaining pocket with epoxy, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. 6 weeks and about 25hrs later its done.

I think I will have to pass on your first offer.

Let me get some more pics up with closer detail. I also wet sand after each primer and paint application, this finish is smooth as a babies bottom.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Hmmm...
No problem...

I'll pass I guess. I have done something similiar with steel, (VW dashboard) and it took me a couple days of fab time...

Metal is easier to work with than plastic though.

That's a LOT of flow for a dash kit though homie!!!

Make a basic mold for a single din and you'll be making bank though! Especially if you can lay glass on it and pop them out quick.... And ESPECIALLY when people start popping SC's in these trucks...

Nice job...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I will probably put my other one I made out of the AI kit on ebay, with pics of it installed.

The one with the scosche kit is much better to work with though since the lower info center just snaps in.

Edit: more pics

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's beautiful work man, I like that you chose the matching orange backlighting for the gauges.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments, let me go to work on making a faster way to make them and with a single din slot for do it youself radio install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.