Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got an audio system in my double cab. I went a little different than most people, but that’s because I wanted to keep some storage space behind there, since I carry a lot of stuff with me all the time. So what I did was I made a custom sub enclosure and amp rack to fit on the back of the 60% passenger side. That way I can still keep some stuff over on the 40% side. I also wanted to put the sub behind the middle of the back to have it centered. :D

The equipment:
Pioneer Premier PRS D-2100T amplifier
Elemental Designs 11kv.2 10” subwoofer
JL Audio e2150 amplifier
CDT Audio Cl-61CV 6.5” component system

For the box, I used ibleedblue’s measurements of his sub box, then tweaked it a bit to add on the amp rack. His dimensions:

I have a copy of my dimensions (which are a bit different) saved on my work computer. I can upload it later on if anyone was interested. My set up:

To make the enclosure, I used 1/2” MDF because I wanted to make sure I had enough airspace for the sub. I sealed off the sub box with silicone and then added polyfill in the chamber. After putting the enclosure together, I sealed over the screws that were on the front of the box with wood filler, then painted over everything so that its nice and smooth.

The amp rack is barely big enough to fit both the amps, but it wasn’t big enough to do a really good stealth job for the wiring, so the wiring is pretty much in front with wire loom. I have two blocks on the very bottom, one for the power, one for the ground.

I ended up taking out the plastic backing off the back seat to fit the sub, but you can’t really tell because of the WO seat covers. I put the crossovers (passive) in the kick panels in the front. I got it to fit nice and snug. The amp remote I put right near the hand brake

I’ve had the head unit for a while now. Eclipse AVN6600

and the back up cam

Big thanks to ibleedblue for the sub box layout, Duckman7 for the comps, and especially CT member daveds50 for all the audio advice and JL amp.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks good, couple questions. Did you consider mounting the amp/amps under the seat and then using all of the space behind the seat for the sub enclosure to allow for proper airspace, 3/4 mdf, and your rear seat plastic? I'm not trashing just curious I'll soon be installing my sub/amp in my truck and I'm really leaning toward trying to put the amp and possibly even the sub under the seats in a fiberglass molded enclosure. To me that storage is useless whereas i use the behind seat storage almost every day. (Dirty coveralls and hardhat)

·
"You, stay classy..."
180 Posts
Surprisingly, the seats don't actually allow much room to mount an amp underneath them. There is a support bracket that limits the height and depth of your amp.

For me, I wanted to retain the stock look and stock JBL amp (for the door speakers) so I kept the stock enclosure and installed my Soundstream Little Wonder under the passenger seat. I had to remove the vent under the seat to get it to fit. Who needs that thing anyways, right? :thumbsup:

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i put an inverter underneath the driver seat and the passenger seat has that weird bar underneath. i moved the angle of the bar to see if an amp would fit under there, and it did, but i decided not to put it there just in case, so water doesn't get to it (snow, mud, etc). i know 3/4" MDF is standard, but ibleedblue used to 1/2" on his box and assured that it was fine. i've had this set up for over a week and so far so good, it sounds awesome! :thumbsup:

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here goes the diagram that I created

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
looking good.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Great job on the box Mjonags! This is exactly what I am looking for! I have been searching for awhile!

I was curious to see if anyone else has built a box similar to this? I want go the same route (1-10" shallow sub with amps mounted to box taking up space on the 60% side only). I have contacted a couple local shops and they recommend fiberglass for this type of box. They say it's easier and cheaper to build. :confused:

Robsatx - Would it be possible for you to build a similar box like this for me using MDF?

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great job on the box Mjonags! This is exactly what I am looking for! I have been searching for awhile!

I was curious to see if anyone else has built a box similar to this? I want go the same route (1-10" shallow sub with amps mounted to box taking up space on the 60% side only). I have contacted a couple local shops and they recommend fiberglass for this type of box. They say it's easier and cheaper to build. :confused:

Robsatx - Would it be possible for you to build a similar box like this for me using MDF?
glad u like it :D

idk if fiberglass would be cheaper, but i spent about $40 total on the box. o btw... my sub isn't a shallow mount

Look up "Mr. Marv". He builds custom boxes (if he still does it).
actually, i'm proud to say that this box has "inspired Mr. Marv" himself :clap:
http://customtacos.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1444866&postcount=14

what brand is that backup camera and where did you get it?
i got the camera from ebay. some cheap little ~$25 camera. there's plenty on ebay, just search back up camera. the only thing i didn't like was how big of a whole i needed to cut in my bumper.

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Look up "Mr. Marv". He builds custom boxes (if he still does it).
glad u like it :D

idk if fiberglass would be cheaper, but i spent about $40 total on the box. o btw... my sub isn't a shallow mount

actually, i'm proud to say that this box has "inspired Mr. Marv" himself :clap:
http://customtacos.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1444866&postcount=14
How do I get ahold of Mr. Marv? Does he have a website?

EDIT: Nevermind...I found his website and I am going to PM him on CustomTacos.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
did you remove the child seat hooks?
no. if u look at the dimensions of the box, you'll see the channel along the backside. that channel clears those child seat hooks.

one thing i did remove was the backside of the seats. but it's not noticeable bc of the WO seat covers

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do I get ahold of Mr. Marv? Does he have a website?

EDIT: Nevermind...I found his website and I am going to PM him on CustomTacos.
Mr. Marv is in between you and me, so driving distance is more than doable. If you pick it up, you'll save a lot on shipping :thumbsup:

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Mr. Marv is in between you and me, so driving distance is more than doable. If you pick it up, you'll save a lot on shipping :thumbsup:
I noticed that he's in Monterey, about 2 hours from me. I emailed him and he already emailed me back. Real nice guy to deal with.

Can anybody chime in on a nice/simple set up for my DC. I plan on upgrading the front speakers with 6.5 components and 6.5-3 way speakers for the rear. Upgraded CD deck with Bluetooth/IPod/Sirius Sat, Mr. Marv Sub Box, Amp and 1-10" Sub and Fat Mat (recommended by my brother). There are so many different options of speakers, decks and subs I am confused. I think I am going to go with the Alpine PDX-5 amp for the flexibility, size and high ratings. I would like everything to match but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My budget is roughly $1400. The deck I like is $300 and I can get the Alpine PDX-5 for $415.

I plan on installing everything myself with the help of my brother. TIA!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts