Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Layd Customs
94 Yota 2WD
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a custom sunroof...or even had a oem sunroof installed on a gen 3 camry???

i was thinking of about a 1 1/2ft wide 3ft long. (possibly wider)

things to look out for when having sunroofs installed?

other ideas?

·
Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
5,381 Posts
Shop carefully.

I know some aftermarket sunroofs/moonroofs are known for leaking, the black strip/seal peeling, and basic overall shotty quality. They are expensive, so if you really, REALLY want one, make sure you do research into the company who does it, and see if they have a warranty. I don't think I would want one that wasn't factory installed.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
^yeah i know alot of ppl that have leaking sun roofs. So shop around and do some research before buying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A aftermarket sunroof can be a little chancy. I've known people with aftermarket sunroofs, and they always say the same thing....that it leaks.
I don't think I'd want a sunroof that wasn't factory installed either.

Oh, and with the dimensions you've given, have you been peeking at the Camry's meager competition i.e. Maxima??????:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sly

·
422 Posts
I do it roof open and rear windows down.. air flows in from the back out the roof, sucking bags, paper, etc out with it :) and, it's quiet enough that you can talk to people.

I think that an aftermarket roof is iffy, I'd for sure want someone that knew what they were doing to install it.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Oh lord an aftermarket sunroof. There have been a few GS300/400's who's OEM sunroofs have been sucked off at 120+mph, why get one that's not as strong?

I don't know of any after market ones, but you could cut the top off an ES 300 and transplant it, or ust buy a gen 2 ES 300 for nearly what that would cost ;)

Don't know if it'll work on a gen3 camry, but I love tilting/opening my roof and rolling the back opposite window down. The air just blows around the car and hits you from behind. It's really neat =) Hurricane if you do both windows and put the sun roof all the way open!

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what i've heard you cant get a oem sunroof installed by toyota because the toyota representative told me that they come from the factory with or without a sunroof. But i think you could find a wrecked camry and take out the whole assembly and have a sunroof shop install it for you.

·
Layd Customs
94 Yota 2WD
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've been talking to a guy that was doin most of the work on my car...shaving door handles, antennae, side molding. He showed me another car (honda civic :lol: ) that he had done a custom sunroof too. It looked kinda like the new Pontiac G6 sunroofs except that it came up in 2 sections not 3. The owner said it hadn't leaked yet (been 6 months).

we'll see what happens and how well my raise is at work :D .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.