Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to know some opinions on custom headers for my 2VZFE V6. Ive got a full system including hi-flow cat, mandrel bend 2 1/4" piping spliting to 2 5" canon mufflers. The only thing left is the exhaust manifolds.

Is there any advantage in doing a header setup aswell?

What sort of sound difference would i expect?

Thanks.

EDIT:: Gees, someones gotta know!!

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
There's an advantage if the headers are well designed.

You'll notice horsepower increase from mid-high end.

The car will be louder, it will have a nicer engine note I would guess.

The only thing that offset this is downtime and cost which you're going to have to find out yourself with a local shop.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
It will sound a little different, cause the pipes coming out of the block are much thinner.
However the benefits of a correct header are improved flow, better scavenging.
aHHH, Custom headers.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
IMHO a Y pipe would be far more beneficial than new headers. The stock manifolds are not that bad. Besides, a Y pipe will cost much less money to do to your high-flow cat; while having a good custom built header is going to give you less than 10hp for several hundred dollars worth of investment.

It's your money, but there are other things you can do for more power, and less money. If you waat, take your headers out of the car and polish the inside of them. That will give you severial HP for free!

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All set, pipe size??

Thanks for the info guys.
I went down to my exhaust shop today, and he quoted me AUD$800 for the whole job. Which i thought is pretty good.
That includes, custom extractor piping made from aluminized steel, extractor plates, gaskets, flex pipe, brackets and labour (apparently a 2-3 day job).

Should be done in 2 weeks or so.

I currently have 2" piping (with resonators) running from my cat back to the split into the 2 exhaust pipes. I have a 2 1/4" system at home that just bolts right in, but is slightly louder (by about 3dB) (currently at 90dB). Do you think I should swap this over at the same time? Or is it not worth it?

Thanks

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, was more worried about the performance gains. Would it be worth it? Coz if it's not gonna be worth it, ill leave the 2" on, coz it's a little quieter.

·
Fooly Sik RE!!!
318 Posts
you can always put a resonator on your 2.25, i have one but it doesnt do that much at lower frequencies. but i say stay with the 2", keep your torque..... dont try to be a dyno queen with a camry, we're not gonna put out smashing numbers anyway

as for the extractors, the exhaust shop should be able to design one for either top end power or for low end torque. it'll def sound different, but not necessarily louder. you prob dont want that anyway being at 90dB. my car is at 88dB and its bordering on annoying at times for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts