Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been wanting a short throw shifter in my 86 corolla for awhile now....i think places make them for the gts and what not....but i was wondering how difficult it would be to cut one down and re-thread it....correct me if im wrong....but i think its just a solid peice of steel...shouldnt be too difficult...

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
I actually think, as someone told me of my own stock shifter once, that it is hardened steel and it is quite a bitch to cut.

Plus, a lot of other B/S I would have to go through. But I won't get into that today..

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
That doesn't actually make your car have shorter throws though just so you know. I personally wouldn't even bother...

EDIT: I know you don't want to hear this but why not sell your Corolla and get a GTS(rwd or fwd) or even an fx16 model?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Short throw shifters are designed differently. Not just shorter.

And the chance of you threading it perfectly is 50:1. First of all, it is (like stated about) hardened steal. It will take you forever to shave away at that. And even when you do, you will have to cover the same areas many times to even out the threads and make sure they are clear.

Second, I doubt you would have any luck threading it evenly. 95% chance you will start it off even, then tilt it to the side. It happens all the time when threading from scratch. No matter how even it may look, you'll end up going off to one side or the other.

Trust me, it's a lot different than making it yourself. Just buy one (or have one made custom).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talisman18 said:
That doesn't actually make your car have shorter throws though just so you know. I personally wouldn't even bother...

EDIT: I know you don't want to hear this but why not sell your Corolla and get a GTS(rwd or fwd) or even an fx16 model?
two things....i understand it doesn make the throws shorter....just a different feel
second...the fx-gts is a great car...and we have one at the wrecking yard i work at...im actually in the process of gts-ing my sedan XD...front suspension and so forth

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and with the thread cutting....i have access to a 7 foot lathe......i can thread anything :thumbup: .....though i might go though a cutter or three...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
two things....i understand it doesn make the throws shorter
Actually it does shorten the throw distance, but it wont change the angle of your shifter, like the short shift kits, which actually make the stick, move in a lesser angel :rolleyes:

Anyhow, cutting it with an anglegrinder shouldnt be that hard, just get a proper carbide disk to do it with :cool:

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
I think what Talisman means is, your car looks like it is in good condition and you could probably get enough money to buy something like an ae86 or ae92.

IMO, I think that is what I would do...

·
^
4,197 Posts
As an fyi, Toyota changed their shifter design after 1992 and made all shifters shorter in throw as well as upgrading syncros and beefing up tranny's. And... most Toyota shifters are interchangable, meaning that a newer shifter will more than likely fit with slight or no modification. You may want to try hitting up the junkyard for a 1992+ Celica, Corolla, Camry shifter to see if it bolts up. I'm not saying that it will work 100%, but experience shows that its the case.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting.....i may have to see what we have at work (wrecking yard) i would rather bolt something up....but i can do the mods if need be.

now...would i take the whole floor shift assembly...or just the shifter peice?

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
I cut the shifter in my 90 4Runner with a hacksaw. It's not hardened. Rolla might be different, but I can't imagine why they would harden it. What you could do, is just cut an inch or two out just under the shifter boot and weld it back together again. Then you wouldn't have to re thread it. I had to lenghten mine for a body lift, and did the reverse of that. (cut it and welded in a two inch piece)

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
yeah a lot of shifters are interchangeable...instead of paying $150+ for a TRD short shift kit for my '89 MR2, the stock shifter from a MKII MR2 worked just fine...so the throw is shorter & it sits down lower too much nicer feel as well :thumbup:

so try a celica or something similar to your rolla it might work :)

Keri

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
epborden said:
I think what Talisman means is, your car looks like it is in good condition and you could probably get enough money to buy something like an ae86 or ae92.

IMO, I think that is what I would do...
yeah, that's exactly what I meant...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts