Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my car lowered in the front because of a huge wheel gap, the back is already pretty low, I dont know why, but the front is not. I don't want to pay over 500 for an entire suspension setup, at least not right now, but I want to know if I can have the mechanic cut off a coil or two to lower it in the front. That way I can have it lowered, and I wont have to pay for a tighter suspension that will give me a rough ride. Are there any downsides or side effects to doing this?

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
In the ghettoooooooooooo :disappoin

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol I am in the ghetto, and besides the "cutting a hole in the muffler" thread, I guess cutting coils to drop your car is pretty ghetto

·
The womaneater!!!!!!!!!!!
camry gen4th
432 Posts
ya know I did that befor on my ae86 but I was turning the thing into a go-cart. it will work but, after about a day or two your car will will settle and they won't be the same height on both sides and your car will lean heavily and pull in that direction. you'll go through tires like your wouldn't believe." I don't recommend it" but you do what'ever you want. remmember only cut off one coil becuase your spring will settle flat. On my 86 I just ended up letting it the ride on bump stops and go-carted around town. after collapsing the shock towers and warping the bay. I sold the car because it was way too late too fix it.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
go ahead and do it. be the worst ride you even have. Eibach's go for 300 something. I'd rather save up to get a set.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The back is already low because not only does the corolla have less wheel gap in the back to begin with, but they seem to have a problem with the rear suspension wearing out prematurely. A pretty large percentage of the 8th gens i see on the road look like they have cement in the trunk. Get new springs and struts, Maybe Tokico Blues, or KYB GR2 which is what the TRD corollas have, and put some good springs on it. Otherwise you're just going to break something else. There is some truth to "you get what you pay for". Cut the springs you'll ride like crap, even if you do look good sitting still. Do lots of research first though. There are lots of different setups on this board, and lots of different preferences and opinions. As soon as you upgrade the suspension, you may start noticing other things too. (Tighten up the suspension, and 8th gen corollas start to oversteer) Its a personal preference thing, just think long and hard before you do anything

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, and yea my springs in the back have worn out pretty quickly. I have 18's in the back and I have rolled the fenders but they still rub sometimes even after that. The suspension is not tight back there at all, the only good that comes out of it is that it looks like I have the rear lowered.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
I was going to say something drastic when I saw the title of this thread, but everyone covered all the topics already! :D

Like mentioned above, your shocks will blow out early if you do. You can install spring compressors like Vamp did on vvti.net. That will compress one coil or more without having to cut for a lower ride height. Your ride might be affected some, but it beats bouncing around on cut springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.