Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 83 5 speed is cutting out at around 3600rpm's and won't go any higher. It also won't excelerate until I let go of the throttle completely and re-apply. I disconnect the battery and it works great for a while, then it comes back. I don't have a check engine light coming on. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i had a datsun do the same thing ...... check the distributor....... specifically at the rotor and the contacts ....... and if so equipped, look at the points .... if coroded or dis colored then replace .... also try plug wires and plugs ....... and for a toyota ..... check the balst resistor and make sure its wired right and comb a junk yard for an ignition ignightor or what ever its called ... will be with the ballast resistor ... that part is like 500 new but only 30 from a junk yard. start with the distributor first

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
distributor

I have already done plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve to no success. Would the ballast be affected by the diconnecting of the battery? I'll get around 200 miles of smooth running before it starts doing it again. I will look into it though. Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts