Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
omg jdm
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't find a short shifter for my 89 SR5, I was thinking about just cutting about 1.5" off of it. I found an 88 SR5 at the junk yard that had this done, and the shifter felt pretty decent. I wasn't going to pay $50 for someone's hack job though!

Is it worth doing it to my own? I see that the shaft is solid steel... so it's going to be fun cutting that beast! I figure I can just get it re-threaded at a machine shop afterwards.

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
yeah, you could, but i wouldn't recommend it. you could always get the shifter out of a junk truck for super cheap and practice it first. or, since no one else has one, you could just design a short shift kit for those vehicles if you have the time/skill and sell it.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
It's been done. Gives the look without the goods from a real one, but when nothing is made for you, what choice does one have...

·
omg jdm
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they do make one for my car, but good luck finding one!

I know it's been done, but I was wondering how it will feel...?

·
Banned
994 Posts
I cut the OEM one in my Paseo with a hacksaw, and cut the threads with a thread die from Ace Hardware. All this while it was still in the car.

When I got my generic eBay Corolla short shifter, I hacked that one also as described above. I had a buddy with a grinder work off some of the shaft diameter so the die could cut properly. Pivot arm was also rotated to alleviate the odd shaft angle. Work done was before it was installed in the car.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Dude.. if freakinbox got one of ebay for his SR5, you should be able to find one also. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
im really picky the way i like mine, I have made quite a few different versions for my car.

For the last one I cut and welded an extra 3/4" to the bottom made a spacer to go under the pivot, Left the side arm alone but removed the plastic clicky thing that gives you fake shift feel then chopped 2" off the top and rewelded the threaded portion.

I tried to thread the SOB with a Die and i couldn't shift rod felt to hard to cut with a die?

·
'96 Rolla DX
1996 Corolla DX
531 Posts
why not just wrap a bit of electrical tape around the rod, and jam the shift knob on? If it's on there good enough, it won't move or twist at all. thats what I'm doing

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
I modified the one in my truck by cutting the stick off just under the threads then cutting about 2" off the stick, then rewelding the threaded part at an angle that felt the most comfortable. The stock knob didn't cut it, so I machined one out of stainless. The finished stick looked awsome, and putting it at an angle made it nicer to shift.

·
Banned
994 Posts
SR5_4WD said:
why not just wrap a bit of electrical tape around the rod, and jam the shift knob on? If it's on there good enough, it won't move or twist at all. thats what I'm doing
During the summer, it will move around.

·
Banned
994 Posts
On mine, my buddy grinded the shaft diameter down so the die would cut the threads, but he grinded a bit too much off. I tried to tighten it up with some duct tape, but it turned freely during hot days. 100% solid when it was below freezing.

·
'96 Rolla DX
1996 Corolla DX
531 Posts
aaron7 said:
duct tape?
:lol: lol yeah I'll order it from Red Green, I think he lives down my way

PS- Does anyone know that guy Wayne Rostad from the show "On The Road Again" ?? He has a giant house a few doors down from me. Sorry I guess this should be OT

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
Use gorilla glue or Loctite. :dunno: That would be my best bet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts