Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5" ToyTec lift on my 06 4x4 DC Taco and my P/S CV angle is greater than the D/S. Has anyone else noticed this. The reason I am asking is b/c I took out the diff drop and the P/S angle on the CV seems to be greater this causing the boots to rub more on the upper boot. Should I put the diff drop back in? (I had no problems with it before I took it out) Would it matter if I did this.

·
Registered
'06 4dr 4x4TRD
81 Posts
There is a lot of different opinions on whether or not the diff drop does anything. I would say to go ahead and put it back on. Even if it doesn't help, it surely won't hurt it either. Since you already have it, I see no reason to not have it installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MOJO06TACO said:
There is a lot of different opinions on whether or not the diff drop does anything. I would say to go ahead and put it back on. Even if it doesn't help, it surely won't hurt it either. Since you already have it, I see no reason to not have it installed.
I was thinking the same thing. It really depends on what website you forum search as to who likes/dislikes the idea of diff drops. I do not do any hard offroad traveling so the diff drop, in my opinion, wouldnt hurt anything. Agree or disagree?

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
I'll say the same thing I said in the last thread about CV's. When you rotate the front of your diff down you add stress to the pinion angle of the front diff just creating another area of possible concern. Whenever you change anything on your truck it will have an effect on something else. Unless your boots are rubbing I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB
356 Posts
Adventure North said:
I'll say the same thing I said in the last thread about CV's. When you rotate the front of your diff down you add stress to the pinion angle of the front diff just creating another area of possible concern. Whenever you change anything on your truck it will have an effect on something else. Unless your boots are rubbing I wouldn't worry about it.
:confused: Adding a lift will increase the pinion angle thus putting more stress on the u-joint (not less). Tilting the diff decreases the pinion angle back into factory spec, taking the extra stress off of it (assuming you install the spacer correctly and tilt it the right direction! The only to add stress is to install the spacer backwards and increase the angle even more.).

Adding a lift also increase the angles at the CV joints (talking about the front here). CV joints are better at being able to tolerate higher angles than u-joints.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
When you lift your truck there is no change to the front pinion angle, all the change in angles is incured by the CV joints. When you add a so called "diff drop," the rear half of the diff does not move down which is why it should be called a diff tilt not drop. When you tilt the front diff you actually change the pinion angle. This was covered extensively at TTORA.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
wjdunn3 said:
:confused: Adding a lift will increase the pinion angle thus putting more stress on the u-joint (not less). Tilting the diff decreases the pinion angle back into factory spec, taking the extra stress off of it (assuming you install the spacer correctly and tilt it the right direction! The only to add stress is to install the spacer backwards and increase the angle even more.).

Adding a lift also increase the angles at the CV joints (talking about the front here). CV joints are better at being able to tolerate higher angles than u-joints.
hopefully you think they are talking about the rear diff.

they are actually talking about the front diff, so your statement is wrong. AN explained it pretty well. hopefully you get it.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB
356 Posts
Yep, sorry, I was thinking rear diff. It's been a long week...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any lift increases the wear on various parts of the driveline. How much is what is debateable. Personally, I would never lift any truck( they handle bad enough the way it is) and I would never buy one that had been lifted by the previous owner- this is almost an iron clad guarantee that it was rode hard and put away wet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts