Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I've been posted here before and you guys were great help! So I'm asking you again for some help. I 've decided to keep my camry since it runs so great and do some repairs. I own a 1988 toyota camry 4 door automatic.

#1. how do I tell if its a 3sfe or alltrac? I would really like to know more about my car if anyone could help?

#2 I have 2 bad cv axles. the one on the drivers side sounds like its going to break! I have rolling-whomping noise when I drive the car on the driver side also..very noisy and loud! these are brand new tires. My question is can the cv axle cause this major clicking noise when I turn and also be resposible for this loud rolling-whompin noise? I'm starting to think it s the wheel hub & bearings bad or will the bad cv axle make this problem cause this?

Basically no matter what speed, what direction, or what gear this car sounds like im riding in the emergency lane over them bumps.It sounds like a have a badly lopsided tire with a bunch of blisters on it!

pleae help! I have to get this fixed soon and I don't want to fix soemthing that I don't have to!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd start by inspecting the CV boots and see if they are in bad shape. If not, then I'd guess it's the bearings but it is strange to have both go bad at the same time. If fact, I'd say it's strange to have both CV axles go bad at the same time. Are you sure noise is coming from both front wheels?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
315 Posts
its the wheel bearings. and doesnt matter camry alltrac or not it still has the 3sfe.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
clicking when turning is most likely an axle, a roaring noise is most likely a bearing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
radiator flush--no heat!

thanks for the help! I had 2 diff shops give opinion today and one said cv shafts & the other said wheel hub & CV shafts. Shop Mgr. said that driving the bad cv axles for so long that it has damaged the hub & bearing is this true? and yes my axles(both) are shot!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
did they happen to check the tie rod ends for play? sometimes it will also make a loud thud/clicking noise if they have to much play in them.

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Hello everyone,

#1. how do I tell if its a 3sfe or alltrac? I would really like to know more about my car if anyone could help?
Alltrac vs Fwd

Alltrac badge on trunk?... Yes / No
Center Diff indicator on dash?... Yes / No
Fuel tank location?... Under Trunk / Under rear seat
Rear diff and driveshaft?... Yes / No

1 - 8 of 8 Posts