Toyota Nation Forum banner

Cv axle replacement.

675 10
Two Questions? Can somebody please let me know if I need to drain the transmission fluid before I remove the cv axles. I do want end up with a huge spill. Also is it recommended to change the cv axle seals even if they are not leaking. Thanks for the help.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2013 Highlander 2.7L
97 Posts
I doubt the oil goes that high when the car is stationary. I doubt shops change the seal. Just make sure you do not damage it during the axle install. You can put a dab of oil on the seal before installing the axle. Tranny oil would be the best but I think a diff or engine oil would work fine as well.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt the oil goes that high when the car is stationary. I doubt shops change the seal. Just make sure you do not damage it during the axle install. You can put a dab of oil on the seal before installing the axle. Tranny oil would be the best but I think a diff or engine oil would work fine as well.
That's what I thought mite be the case. I will raise the Highlander up front and back in order to keep the trans fluid level in the pan. Thanks for your input. Happy Thanksgiving.

· Registered
2008 Toyota Highlander Limited. Front wheel drive
22 Posts
Two Questions? Can somebody please let me know if I need to drain the transmission fluid before I remove the cv axles. I do want end up with a huge spill. Also is it recommended to change the cv axle seals even if they are not leaking. Thanks for the help.
I changed both CV axles about 4 months ago On my 2008 Highlander. If you jack up the side you are working on you should be fine. That’s how I did it and didn’t spill any fluid

· Registered
533 Posts
That is correct, if you lift the side of the car you are working on, you won't lose much if any trans fluid. If however, you have the car lifted evenly, then you will drop some trans fluid. Not a huge amount but enough to need a top off after replacing the axles. I would not replace the seals. Most likely they were not leaking before axle replacement.

· Registered
106 Posts
A recent Car Care Nut (a Toyota Master Tech) video says that unless the CV axles have been ruined by going too long with ripped boots, it's better to just replace the boots and grease. He says aftermarket axles tend not to be properly balanced and often lead to unhappy outcomes.

· Registered
Highlander(s)
1,606 Posts
A recent Car Care Nut (a Toyota Master Tech) video says that unless the CV axles have been ruined by going too long with ripped boots, it's better to just replace the boots and grease. He says aftermarket axles tend not to be properly balanced and often lead to unhappy outcomes.
I included the video link. My late partner and I replaced MANY axles mostly Chrysler products. We did not drain the fluid but yes we did need a catch pan under the housing to catch what would leak. We had to replace them because Chrysler stuff was such junk. But on a Toyota all you're going to be doing is likely installing junk if you buy after market.

· Registered
571 Posts
lost maybe half a Qt on my mazda when i did axles...
and then another half a Qt when i had to re-do them with new axle seals. lol

the seal is pretty cheap compared to most things. why not do it at this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts