Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
wrench spinner
Echo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 echo which had a small tear in the driver's side cv boot. I took it to a shop, had it replaced (the boot) and now a year later the wheel on that side is starting to howl and there is grease leaking out the bottom of the boot. Is it possible that the boot was improperly installed ( the band wasn't tightened enough) resulting in the grease to leak out the bottom? Is it possible to repack the grease replacing the band on the bottom of the boot or is the cv joint ruined? It doesn't make any clicking noises nor does it bind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I haven't had mine long enough to tell if there's anything unusual with the Echo boot design, generally speaking I'd suggest the boot strap wasn't installed tightly enough, or perhaps there's an additional new hole causing the leak. You can probably tell by looking if it appears to be leaking from the strap end versus from a hole. Emphasis on probably. There's always times where a cause isn't self evident.

If the joint isn't loose or noisy, I'd repack & reseal the boot...or replace the boot and then pack & seal. Boots are readily replaceable as many times as needed to protect the joint inside.

Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
The CV has lost grease from what you said at least 2 times now, I'd just get a new one at this point! But are your struts blown, rough roads or conditions while turning?

·
イリジウム
11,787 Posts
There are different types of bands (double loop strap, Oetiker Ear type or Ear-less, etc). Not sure if the boot is rubber or thermoplastic, the latter needs to be torqued.

But in general grease leaks out from tears and not from under bands. Do you have pictures? Not sure what you mean by “bottom “ of the boot.

Are you sure the shop replaced a boot and not swapped in a rebuilt like they usually do?

Anyway, you really need to disassemble it to inspect to be sure. But if you use a shop instead of DIY, and if it’s making noise it’s easier just to swap in a new aftermarket axle like Cardone Select on rockauto that carries a lifetime parts warranty. You might need a new axle seal too. I’d replace it if it’s been on there a long time.

Does your current axle carry any warranty? Even for a year?

I have a 2000 echo which had a small tear in the driver's side cv boot. I took it to a shop, had it replaced (the boot) and now a year later the wheel on that side is starting to howl and there is grease leaking out the bottom of the boot. Is it possible that the boot was improperly installed ( the band wasn't tightened enough) resulting in the grease to leak out the bottom? Is it possible to repack the grease replacing the band on the bottom of the boot or is the cv joint ruined? It doesn't make any clicking noises nor does it bind.

·
wrench spinner
Echo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never replaced the axel but last year I replaced the boot on the cv joint due to a tear that was leaking. When changing the oil I noticed there was a blob of grease under the boot that's closest to the wheel. Does that mean that the axel needs to be replaced? Also, when I ran my fingers along the bottom edge of the boot there was grease on my fingers.

·
wrench spinner
Echo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CV has lost grease from what you said at least 2 times now, I'd just get a new one at this point! But are your struts blown, rough roads or conditions while turning?
I don't see any leaks from the struts and I drive on mostly smooth city roads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm lost with ya, unless a stick of some sort or something was flung up while on the freeway I cant think of why a new boot was torn, unless they were rough with it while installing it and cut it up on something
But I think you mentioned there was to cuts

·
wrench spinner
Echo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's right there's no cuts and when I took it back to the mechanic who changed the boot he told me that the axel had to be replaced. My question is why can't the band holding the bottom of the boot be replaced and the grease repacked, why does the whole axel have to be replaced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Greasw can only do so much to prevent wear and tear on the joint of the axle, and if its losing grease and has lost it before, its life spand is significantly shortened due to it wearing
Then again you dont hear any clunking yet so it cant be too bad I would assume

·
イリジウム
11,787 Posts
If the joint is already making noise (the howl you mentioned) and you have to pay a shop (instead of DIY tries), then it’s more cost effective to use Cardone Select as others too mentioned. Lifetime parts warranty too. Pay only labor to swap (if the shop passes on the warranty). Or can you DIY?

But right no grease should leak out from under the band if the boot is fine. I think you need a new mechanic.

·
wrench spinner
Echo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks no kidding some of these mechanics think its their right to rip people off and charge outrageous prices.

·
イリジウム
11,787 Posts
Another thing, just a thought, the joint might be fine other than a loose band. It may be an improperly torqued axle nut that’s causing the wheel bearing to howl. Particularly if the shop uses impact wrench instead of torque wrenches on everything.

I just hope the shop didn’t just stick a brake cleaner spray straw into the outer joint trying to “flush out” the old grease in the joint when they reboot. You’ll just end up with brake cleaner trapped in there, destroying the grease.

I hope they just wiped off what old grease they can and smeared a proper amount of new grease on there while putting on the new boot. (This is what I do with a typical reboot after “converting” to Redline CV-2 with a full disassembly and cleaning).

·
wrench spinner
Echo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the wheel off, and the boot, where the strap is, will twist from side to side but won't pull off. Is that on tight enough? It doesn't clunk when driving it but it feels like something is binding in the joint.

·
イリジウム
11,787 Posts
In my installs the strap will not move. You don’t want to over clamp it, just enough so it won’t move when you push on it. I also don’t leave grease under the strap area of the boot/joint.

When you have both wheels off the ground (properly block the rear wheels and set the parking brake) you can rotate each wheel freely. The joint should rotate smoothly and quietly.

Can you describe the binding?

·
イリジウム
11,787 Posts
The bands I know are 7 mm wide. If those are “worm gear” clamps with a screw then it’s the wrong type.

Worm gear clamp:

Oetiker CV Boot Clamps on Amazon:

However, if it’s the double loop type, then that’s ok. It’s probably just not properly tightened.

“Double loop” type clamp:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts