Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Corolla LE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was indicated on my last maintenance service done at Toyota service center:

PASS OUTER CV BOOT - NEEDS AXLE SEE HISTORY AND DRIVERS SIDE BOOT

Prior to my last service these were the notes (not in order):
1] PASSENGER SIDE AXLE - price quote $781
2] PASSENGER FRONT AXLE OUTER BOOT IS LEAKING - price quote $781
3] LEFT SIDE CV BOOTS SEEPING GREASE $373, RIGHT SIDE AXLE OUTER CV BOOT LEAKING $781

Now when 1-3 were noted I was told that it's minor and not urgent. I have my car service at approx every 2 months every 5K miles. So it's been almost a year since it was noted first. I've just been putting it off because of the major services that was done lately.

How much am I looking at to have it done on a non-Toyota service center or a local mechanic?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,805 Posts
This was indicated on my last maintenance service done at Toyota service center:

PASS OUTER CV BOOT - NEEDS AXLE SEE HISTORY AND DRIVERS SIDE BOOT

Prior to my last service these were the notes (not in order):
1] PASSENGER SIDE AXLE - price quote $781
2] PASSENGER FRONT AXLE OUTER BOOT IS LEAKING - price quote $781
3] LEFT SIDE CV BOOTS SEEPING GREASE $373, RIGHT SIDE AXLE OUTER CV BOOT LEAKING $781

Now when 1-3 were noted I was told that it's minor and not urgent. I have my car service at approx every 2 months every 5K miles. So it's been almost a year since it was noted first. I've just been putting it off because of the major services that was done lately.

How much am I looking at to have it done on a non-Toyota service center or a local mechanic?
I guess your mileage takes you past any warranty ? Wow besides the noted CV boots what was the major service that was done recently?

If you have all seals replaced that are noted as leeking/seeping, very expensive as you know. I would keep driving until the axles begin to complain about lack of grease which could be many more miles. A good wheel/brake guy would be my choice to do the work when needed.

Note that if the boots are not torn but the grease is simply showing at some weep hole, you can definetly postpone the repair.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla LE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess your mileage takes you past any warranty ? Wow besides the noted CV boots what was the major service that was done recently?

If you have all seals replaced that are noted as leeking/seeping, very expensive as you know. I would keep driving until the axles begin to complain about lack of grease which could be many more miles. A good wheel/brake guy would be my choice to do the work when needed.

Note that if the boots are not torn but the grease is simply showing at some weep hole, you can definetly postpone the repair.
right, i'm way past my warranty, already at +109K miles. are you suggesting to just put off the repairs? i just want to make sure that i would not incur a much bigger repair and let it wear? in a bad case scenario will these leaks/seeping grease affect other parts?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,805 Posts
right, i'm way past my warranty, already at +109K miles. are you suggesting to just put off the repairs? i just want to make sure that i would not incur a much bigger repair and let it wear? in a bad case scenario will these leaks/seeping grease affect other parts?
Since they noted the minor leaks a year ago, the axles have not given you any problem such as clicking or grinding or caused you to have other problems correct?
I can't think of a scenario where the leak would cause any problem other than not lubricating the CV joint properly.
You may ask them if the repair is a repack/boot replacement or if they are replacing the axles which come with the boots installed.
If replacing the axles then I would continue to operate the way you are and when needed have them install the new axles. Who knows you may have 200,000 miles by then;)

·
Registered
2010 Corolla LE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since they noted the minor leaks a year ago, the axles have not given you any problem such as clicking or grinding or caused you to have other problems correct?
I can't think of a scenario where the leak would cause any problem other than not lubricating the CV joint properly.
You may ask them if the repair is a repack/boot replacement or if they are replacing the axles which come with the boots installed.
If replacing the axles then I would continue to operate the way you are and when needed have them install the new axles. Who knows you may have 200,000 miles by then;)
I do hear those clunky noises when doing left U-turns and also when turning to the right when parking on our porch. I will have my 2 axles replaced this Saturday by a trusted mechanic at $60 each per axle (parts cost), as for the labor I'm not sure how much yet.. subject to negotiation, hopefully low (told me I can wait while he replaces both) The mechanic suggested to have the driver side axle replaced as well since the axle kit doesn't cost that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.