Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, after doing some searching I came across many answers for people who are trying to replace the total joint, but what I would like to know is this....
I have a 93 4 cyl. and just had the transmission, and drivers side cv joint replaced back in mid 2002. I noticed last month that the cv joint has a tear in the boot, and of course is slinging grease on the inside wheel well. What I want to know is what would be easier/smarter to do. Should I just replace the entire joint, even though it's only like 2 years old now, or should I replace just the boot?

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
if i remember correctly, when you replace the boot, you get a boot but it has a slit on it so you can get it around the joint then you have to seal it somehow, which can cause problems if not sealed correctly

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
In most cases, you do not need to replace the whole joint if only the boot is gone. However, you should have a mechanic to inspect the bearings when the boot is removed.

I wouldn't worry about it if you just got it new 2 years ago.

Do you know if the boot is OEM or not? If not then I would suggest you to get the OEM CV boot from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey, I have a similiar situation that I need help with. I also have a 93 Camry 2.2 I-4 and the outer boot tore. I decided to go ahead and replace both inner and outer boot. Problem deals with the new replacement boots. The large open end of the inner boot (that connects with the housi ng) is a tripod/clover shape; though the original is a circular opening. Looking at the housing, there is a metal ring and if I pull this off, I can fit the tripod/clover shaped onto the housing. But is this okay to do or should I just go back and get one more circular side to match the housing and not pull of the ring?
The axle was GNK design.
Thanks

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not really sure if it's OEM or not, but I'm probably going to take a look at it this week and the go buy a new boot. I'm hoping this isn't going to be to terribly difficult to replace. Anyone who's done this got any recommendations for me? I would really appreciate teh advice before I try to attack this alone *with my trusty Haynes of course*

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yea i need to do a CV boot too. i heard it was a pain in the ass to do. My driver side is in 2 parts and my passanger side is almost in 2 parts. Just been lazy to get around to shopping for the parts and what not.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
I have to replace my CV joint:mad: It started clicking a couple of days ago

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
just replace the whole thing, it's cheaper and easier than the disassembly of the joints and hubs and crap. i should know, did it twice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I second that, Its easier and cheaper just buy a whole new axle Ive gotten quotes from 175 - 210, about 200 bucks per side is what you can expect to pay at a shop. but i you know somebody that will do it for you then you will really save some money.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Mines just tore this weekend, so I too have to change my boot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts