Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Camry 96
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Camry 1996 / 4cyl. - 115,000miles
I just changed the oil and realized the CV Joint Boots are broken. (both left and right).
Now for sure I need to change the CV Shaft Drive Axle (left and right).
The brand new one (OEM Toyota) - the dealer price it's crazy - around 800 for both. (left and right)
And I checked and cannot find the OEM parts anywhere else. I can read on the original one GKNAI and a serial number.

So what should I buy? And. From where? What you recommend? I know all the rest are remanufactured. But at least to find a good/decent price and the quality that can keep my Camry for another 3-4 years on the road.
Another question is. I think my suspensions are pretty old also / maybe I should change the suspensions also / I am afraid that if I change the CD Shaft Drive Axle and I keep the old suspensions - the CV Joint Boots are going to be bad soon?! any recommendation for front/back suspension - what I should buy? KBY? are those the OEM parts from Toyota Camry ? KBY?
THANK YOU ALL!

You guys are great!

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
If you order them from your local autozone, you can get em both for like 220.00 bucks I believe. And they have lifetime guarantees.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
my cv boot was broken too..
i didnt have the money at the time so i just let it go. LOL
after about 6 months it finally broke
went to autozone got both new and installed them

man i was dumb before

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tonic,

Are your CV boots ripped or your CV joint broken. From the e-mail, I'm guessing that both
of your CV boots are ripped. If I remember right, Autozone sells CV boot kit for $20 a boot.
You can put it on without taking out the CV joint. If you want to be extra careful, tie wrap 5 or 6 at the lip where you screw the nuts and bolts. If you want to replace the boot (not universal boot), you can buy a boot replacement pump at Carquest for $200 dollars. This will expand the boot and clamp it without taking the CV joint out. The third option is to take it to an independent auto dealer to have it install. Most independent auto dealer have this tool. It will save them time and labor for you. The job will take between 10 minutes each side. Hope this helps.

Monkey123

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,864 Posts
those boots that slip on without taking off the CV joint (the ones that are split on the side, wrap around the joint and screw together) - they SUCK! i tried them. they leaked within a week of installing them. waste of time and money. the effort and cost it takes to replace the boots, its close to the same price to just replace the axle. i got mine from napa - they work great.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Check past TN post on this subject, it has been the subject of a lot of discussion. Unless the suspension is totally screwed up, it should not affect the life of the joints.

The link below provides access to on-line shop manuals that can help you inspect the suspension.

http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts