Toyota Nation Forum banner

CVT Life-span worries

8283 Views 106 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  igzy
Hello everybody,
My 2021 HB has the Cvt and love it’s performance in manual with sport mode on. However, I am hesitant to continue further with the car because I am skeptical with the reliability of the Cvt. I do not plan to add any power to the vehicle. I have suspensions mods and sticky summers tires. Has any one experienced Cvt failure? Can I expect 200k miles out of the transmission with weekly spirited canyon drives?
Reactions: stingray427
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
I think people are overblowing both the fragility of the CVT and its cost to replace. Even if the thing blows up after 10 years, this is maybe a $3500 repair for a <$25k car that has long since been paid off. Engine is still fine so now you can drive it for another 10 years. The new transmission is equivalent to a $20/month car payment at that point.

· Registered
21 Corolla Hatch
57 Posts
I had a Nissan Versa with a Cvt. I never had any problems with mine but the Nissan Forums are full of entries about cvt failures. My Versa had the cvt warranty entended to 80,000 miles because of the number of failures.

I've got Toyota's new cvt in my 21 Corolla hatch. I'll never put enough miles on it to get beyound the warranty. I've only got 5,000 miles on the car but it runs and drives very smoothly at this point.

· Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback SE - CVT
313 Posts
I tend to keep my cars 20 to 30 years so I need longetivity.
You're definitely not gonna get 20-30 years out of any car that's built within the last decade.

that died with after AE90-AE100 series finished its production (besides the 1ZZ engines but we don't talk about those)

· Premium Member
1,673 Posts
You're definitely not gonna get 20-30 years out of any car that's built within the last decade.

that died with after AE90-AE100 series finished its production (besides the 1ZZ engines but we don't talk about those)
That's a whole lot of beer kind of conversation 🍻

I drove a RAV4 for 15 years, sold it last year, was still in good shape. Same with ES. 2GR is a good engine too...
1ZZ is a legend, actually built them up to when 2ZR came out in '09...

· Registered
151 Posts
It's impossible to say whether or not a car built within the last 10 years will last 30 years, because 30 > 10 🤔

That said, I doubt anyone will actually want a gas-powered econobox 30 years from now. I don't think a ~2020 Corolla will have much staying power in 2050, when EVs will almost certainly outperform gas vehicles both in range and cost of ownership. At some point the government might even buy it back from you if the old engines are made illegal.

· Premium Member
1,673 Posts
It's impossible to say whether or not a car built within the last 10 years will last 30 years, because 30 > 10 🤔

That said, I doubt anyone will actually want a gas-powered econobox 30 years from now. I don't think a ~2020 Corolla will have much staying power in 2050, when EVs will almost certainly outperform gas vehicles both in range and cost of ownership. At some point the government might even buy it back from you if the old engines are made illegal.
Another beer conversation: EV vs ICE...

So many areas of that are contentious: ethics of chip mfg and Li mining, actual cold region performance, grid availability, grid stability, grid energy source cleanliness (coal, nuclear), range, recycling, charge speed, etc.

By 2050 I hope to be retired someplace where I won't have a need for a car ;)

Reactions: pUl|

· Registered
Blue car
844 Posts
Another beer conversation: EV vs ICE...

So many areas of that are contentious: ethics of chip mfg and Li mining, actual cold region performance, grid availability, grid stability, grid energy source cleanliness (coal, nuclear), range, recycling, charge speed, etc.

By 2050 I hope to be retired someplace where I won't have a need for a car ;)
While we are having a beer conversation, let's don't forget hydrogen power vs EV, autonomous vehicles. Heck, bring more beer, we can start talking about world war III and 'Planet Killer' asteroids. May be the CVT is nothing to worry about after all. :LOL:

· Registered
313 Posts
I have got 31+ years out of my Mustang GT and near 20 years out of my Corvette which I use as a daily driver.
thats because its 31 years old.

they don't make cars so overengineered like they did when 90s Toyota was 90s toyota.

· Registered
313 Posts
That's a whole lot of beer kind of conversation 🍻

I drove a RAV4 for 15 years, sold it last year, was still in good shape. Same with ES. 2GR is a good engine too...
1ZZ is a legend, actually built them up to when 2ZR came out in '09...
1ZZ-FE

hot garbage.

The irony is that engine was designed to switch to laser etched valve guides to PREVENT the massive amounts of oil consumption these things had and they overlooked the fact that the pistons were too small and bigger rings does not equal a proper compensation.

Should've just stuck with the 4A / 7A's tbh.

· Registered
313 Posts
meanwhile the 2ZZ-GE is you know, good... until you grenade the oil pump from tapping near redline.

· Premium Member
1,673 Posts
meanwhile the 2ZZ-GE is you know, good... until you grenade the oil pump from tapping near redline.
It is a motorcycle engine designed to be redlined on every shift :p

• Haha
Reactions: voodoo22

· Registered
27 Posts
Hello everybody,
My 2021 HB has the Cvt and love it’s performance in manual with sport mode on. However, I am hesitant to continue further with the car because I am skeptical with the reliability of the Cvt. I do not plan to add any power to the vehicle. I have suspensions mods and sticky summers tires. Has any one experienced Cvt failure? Can I expect 200k miles out of the transmission with weekly spirited canyon drives?
I am at 4500 miles on a 22 SE and the CVT is already having issues, its rough, shift so hard it lurches, Toyota is blowing of customers with,its in limits.. there is no way these trans with fake shifts can last a long time, ask Dodge, there fake shifts killed the transmissions, its a CVT its supposed to move in a linear motion, not jerk around, making a CVT pulse is a death sentence, I have been around CVT and CSDU's constant speed drive units since the 80's, I am dumping my toyota once the lease is up, I was going to buy it, not now.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts