Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have regrets of not getting the manual over the CVT or vise versa?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have never once in all the traffic I have sat in with my corolla even for a moment wished I had the CVT. Many times have I been thankful I choose a MT, I would do it again without even thinking about it.
The other day I was driving to pick my wife up from work and I was slamming through gears and revin it close to red line flying up a hill and it is a hoot. CVT is if you are too lazy to change gears, MT is if you take the fun you have driving seriously. Not that the CVT isn't fun to toot around but compared to the MT it is quite boring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having driven nothing but manual since my first car in 1982, I had planned to get my first automatic this time around, but no way am I going to buy a random-reliability push-belt CVT (or a straight direct-only injection engine for that matter) - which is what almost all new cars today have for those systems. The last-gen Corolla proved that even Toyota can't build a reliable push-belt CVT - it's just a weak reliability design system, period. So, I have no problem keeping on driving a manual. My 2020 Corolla SE sedan has a very nice clutch/shift feel, so I'm good.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,237 Posts
I've driven manuals all my life so I would never choose a CVT over a MT. I've driven in plenty of traffic over the years living and working in Los Angeles, Portland, and Seattle. A MT is more fun, reliable, and involving than a boring CVT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm going to be one of the only here due to the enthusiast mindset that generally surrounds forums but, I love the CVT. This isn't intended to be my fun car, the CVT is much more reliable than many think, and the first launch gear fills the low end gap that previous CVTs had very well. So no regrets, even-though I get a lot of shit for defending it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm going to be one of the only here due to the enthusiast mindset that generally surrounds forums but, I love the CVT. This isn't intended to be my fun car, the CVT is much more reliable than many think, and the first launch gear fills the low end gap that previous CVTs had very well. So no regrets, even-though I get a lot of shit for defending it.
You're not the only one. Previous to the hatch, I had a 06 Matrix XRS and a 91 MR2 Turbo. As well as a few more manual cars that aren't as notable. All my cars, minus one, previous to the hatch were all manual.

The Corolla is my only car, and I don't ever intend it to be a racecar with a ton of mods. I wanted it to be a comfortable daily and a cruiser. Drop, wheels, exhaust, TRD parts, and nicer interior parts. I want a manual project car, but at this point in life I don't need one. So in the meantime I get to save some money for it and ponder what I would truly want to build rather than haphazardly throwing money at whatever I liked on my previous cars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're not the only one. Previous to the hatch, I had a 06 Matrix XRS and a 91 MR2 Turbo. As well as a few more manual cars that aren't as notable. All my cars, minus one, previous to the hatch were all manual.

The Corolla is my only car, and I don't ever intend it to be a racecar with a ton of mods. I wanted it to be a comfortable daily and a cruiser. Drop, wheels, exhaust, TRD parts, and nicer interior parts. I want a manual project car, but at this point in life I don't need one. So in the meantime I get to save some money for it and ponder what I would truly want to build rather than haphazardly throwing money at whatever I liked on my previous cars.
This is basically what I want to do. Simple stuff, nothing too big and I would have a Miata for the project car but the budget does not even come close to allowing that right now.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,509 Posts
I love my manual even more since I changed its 1.5 liter of gear oil for Red Line MT/LV at 6,220 miles (10,010 kms). 🏎🏁😅

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is basically what I want to do. Simple stuff, nothing too big and I would have a Miata for the project car but the budget does not even come close to allowing that right now.
What a shame, because I'm selling a rust free, mildly modified na6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
6500 with hard top
That is a shame. I was very close to buying a ‘96 m edition for $2500 about two years ago. Only problems it had was a two inch hole in the top, faded truck and good paint, and she lost the keyless entry fob so the security on the m edition was useless

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is a shame. I was very close to buying a ‘96 m edition for $2500 about two years ago. Only problems it had was a two inch hole in the top, faded truck and good paint, and she lost the keyless entry fob so the security on the m edition was useless
Mine is rust free and set up for touge on nearly stock power.
Shelbys Way Hot Rod Hullabaloo by DESY photowerks, on Flickr

·
Registered
92 Posts
No regrets purchasing a CVT XSE hatch. I've had it for a year now and I enjoy it. I live in Maryland, about 40 miles away from DC. The traffic here can be hell during the morning and evening rush. I can't fathom driving a manual in the traffic we get here in the DMV. The full speed dynamic radar cruise control is an added plus.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in the DC area too. I managed for years driving through the mess with various manual cars to include one which I had a beefier clutch put in with a upgraded pressure plate due to the nitrous injection I had in that car. You had to really stand on the clutch pedal to get the clutch to release. Yet still managed in the stop and go traffic. Those that said one has to keep things in perspective with the types of cars we're talking about are correct. The Corolla is meant to be a daily commuting, reasonably priced, and reliable car. I test drove the current gen HB with the CVT. The mating of the engine and the CVT with the physical first gear was fine in my eyes. What steered me away from buying the HB was the total lack of trunk space. This put me into a C-HR which the only option is a CVT with a woefully underpowered engine. The C-HR should have had the updated engine for the HB as the standard powerplant. But I keep things in perspective as the C-HR is my daily beater/commuter.

I miss having a manual on my current cars. Having a manual in my BMW 135i would have definitely increased the fun factor. The DCT that's in it is probably the best alternative than a full on manual but that's when it works properly. Something not discussed or emphasized is having a manual drops the complexity of the drive train with hopefully an increase in reliability and decreased maintenance cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 6mt xse hatch and wish i had gotten the cvt. Heavy flywheel, poor imt implementation, squeaky slave cylinder, long commute in stop and go traffic are my reasons why. Not enough to sell it or trade it in but the regret is there

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,509 Posts
6-speed manual is so much better and easier once the rear motor mount (no front mount) is stiffened up by filling its cavities with fast-cure urethane... Soft and sloppy stock suspensions also contribute greatly by making it much harder to stop and go efficiently and effectively. I've fixed all that, and it can now be driven properly and with great precision. An audible exhaust also helps tremendously.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,237 Posts
Something not discussed or emphasized is having a manual drops the complexity of the drive train with hopefully an increase in reliability and decreased maintenance cost.
Bingo. Simpler. Less expensive. More fun. Quicker. More reliable. Case closed. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
NinjamanCHB
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing