Toyota Nation Forum banner

Cylinder 3 misfiring

8053 Views 372 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  new echo owner
I just bought 2007 Camry which has an original 98k. Some white smoke and cylinder 3 misfire. Code p0303. I checked and swapped the coil and spark plug but still running rough. I replaced the PCV. There is a clip below with the noise coming from under the valve cover

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Did you do anything besides swapping the coils and spark plugs? From the video, it sounds like you might have valvetrain problem, the ticking or tapping sound in the background.
Probably do a compression test, and take off the valve cover to have a look inside.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do anything besides swapping the coils and spark plugs? From the video, it sounds like you might have valvetrain problem, the ticking or tapping sound in the background.
Probably do a compression test, and take off the valve cover to have a look inside.
Nothing other than opening the radiator cap last night and saw clear oil not milky or foaming in the radiator by dipping my finger when was cold of course. Does it worth renting a compression tool to confirm the inevitable

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Oil in the radiator? Doesn't sound good, shouldn't have any oil in the cooling system. Either someone had accidentally put oil in there or a part had failed allowing oil to enter into the cooling system.
A compression test would help to see if there is any problem to the bottom end of the engine, namely piston rings and valve seating, maybe even head gasket problem..
You will need some diagnoses to determine the issue.
Start with a compression test, especially paying attention to #3 cylinder since that is the one that is setting the code.
Pressure test the cooling system to see how long it can hold the pressure; this might even give you some indication to what is leaking.
Put #3 cylinder on top dead center, or just make sure all the valves are closed, pressurize the cylinder, this will help in determining if the cylinder is the cause of the oil entering into the cooling system.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil in the radiator? Doesn't sound good, shouldn't have any oil in the cooling system. Either someone had accidentally put oil in there or a part had failed allowing oil to enter into the cooling system.
A compression test would help to see if there is any problem to the bottom end of the engine, namely piston rings and valve seating, maybe even head gasket problem..
You will need some diagnoses to determine the issue.
Start with a compression test, especially paying attention to #3 cylinder since that is the one that is setting the code.
Pressure test the cooling system to see how long it can hold the pressure; this might even give you some indication to what is leaking.
Put #3 cylinder on top dead center, or just make sure all the valves are closed, pressurize the cylinder, this will help in determining if the cylinder is the cause of the oil entering into the cooling system.
I removed the valve cover to check from inside. I don’t know what I’m looking for but the gasket was a little bigger than the groove and couldn’t make it fit. According to the guy who I bought the car from told me hereplaced the gasket a month ago and informed me about the cylinder failure. How did he fit the gasket? Do I need to buy a new one?

Attachments

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
You probably won't see anything under the valve cover, unless it is valvetrain related. The tests mention above don't really require taking the engine apart, except removing the plugs!

However, since you already have the valve cover off, take a close look at the valve buckets, to see if any of them has dropped down.

Some gasket to swell a little when come in contact with oil, try to push it back into the grove and use some silicone sealer to hold it in place while putting it back on, or get a new one.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You probably won't see anything under the valve cover, unless it is valvetrain related. The tests mention above don't really require taking the engine apart, except removing the plugs!

However, since you already have the valve cover off, take a close look at the valve buckets, to see if any of them has dropped down.

Some gasket to swell a little when come in contact with oil, try to push it back into the grove and use some silicone sealer to hold it in place while putting it back on, or get a new one.
I do not know how the valve buckets look like but Cylinder 3 the only one looks different. The screw driver point to the area where maybe the rounded silver valve is dipped under the oil on the shaft closer to the front of the car however the one closer to the firewall are seen

Attachments

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Can't quite see what you are referring to from the pictures! Nevertheless, the part that the screw driver is pointing to is the valve bucket.

What you should be looking for is the bucket on the same side, in other words on the same camshaft; they should of the same 'height' or same level with one another, when the cam lobes are pointing up! You have two intake valves and two exhaust valves for each cylinder; two on rides on the intake cam and two on the exhaust cam.

Are you familiar with the engine you are working on?

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't quite see what you are referring to from the pictures! Nevertheless, the part that the screw driver is pointing to is the valve bucket.

What you should be looking for is the bucket on the same side, in other words on the same camshaft; they should of the same 'height' or same level with one another, when the cam lobes are pointing up! You have two intake valves and two exhaust valves for each cylinder; two on rides on the intake cam and two on the exhaust cam.

Are you familiar with the engine you are working on?
I am handy but not on this model in particular. The image below with two red screw drivers pointing to the valve buckets on the exhaust side and which are dipped under the oil level and unable to see them. They are the only two dipped under oil level
Sorry I couldn’t upload the images for now but the screw driver on the previous Image indicates to the unseen valve buckets which hidden under the oil

Attachments

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
If you are familiar with working on engine, that is good; just take your time, do it slow!

If one of them is lower than the other, it would mean that one is stuck open. Could be a bent valve, broken valve spring or simply the bucket is stuck for some reason.

A compression test would give you some indication if it is or not.

Have you ask the previous owner whether or not oil had been accidentally added to the cooling system? Otherwise, you will also have to look into that issue!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are familiar with working on engine, that is good; just take your time, do it slow!

If one of them is lower than the other, it would mean that one is stuck open. Could be a bent valve, broken valve spring or simply the bucket is stuck for some reason.

A compression test would give you some indication if it is or not.

Have you ask the previous owner whether or not oil had been accidentally added to the cooling system? Otherwise, you will also have to look into that issue!
The cam Pole is right on the top of the valve bucket. Is it coincidentally. It is the only Cam pole facing down everyone else is in different direction. Is there a way I can rotate the camshaft to see if the valve pocket can pop up.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turn the crank using a wrench from the top or using a socket through the wheel well, after removing the wheel and splash shield!

The cam lobes need to facing/pointing up to check the buckets!
I was able to turn the camshafts and when the lobes turned up the valves have risen.. Does it mean the valve buckets are ok..
I will rent the compression tool tomorrow and check the compression..can it be done before I put back the valve cover

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
If the buckets do come up, it means they are not stuck and the valves are not sticking or the valve springs for that fact, you still need to check their clearances. Not just #3 cylinder, all of them and record them; regardless whether additional work or not, you still need to verify that they are within spec, since there was some noise record from there in your video.

BTW, you didn't mention how many miles on the vehicle!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the buckets do come up, it means they are not stuck and the valves are not sticking or the valve springs for that fact, you still need to check their clearances. Not just #3 cylinder, all of them and record them; regardless whether additional work or not, you still need to verify that they are within spec, since there was some noise record from there in your video.

BTW, you didn't mention how many miles on the vehicle!
The car was owned by an elderly couple who drove it short distances. Now has only 98K original

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Possible that it is the head gasket; however, still would be a good idea to go through some tests to confirm, and also verify that other components are good!

@Alexqkama, do you have pictures of the spark plugs, especially #3 plug? It might show sign of burning coolant!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Possible that it is the head gasket; however, still would be a good idea to go through some tests to confirm, and also verify that other components are good!

@Alexqkama, do you have pictures of the spark plugs, especially #3 plug? It might show sign of burning coolant!
The third cylinder is the clean and wet in order

Attachments

1 - 20 of 373 Posts