Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im replacing a blown head gasket on my 1990 celica and i need a little help....

i cant get hold of a haynes/workshop manual and i need to know what to torque the head bolts to.

also while ive got the head off are there any engine mods that can be done? its getting a port and polish, the heads going to be flow tested and all that and a new cam belt but is there anything else???

thanks

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
5s-fe first tighten to 36ft/lbs then using the crosshatch patter tighten 90 degrees over three turns (one 30 move to another bolt then another 30 move to another bolt, it's very important you tighten each bolt 30 degrees at a time)

4a-fe 1990 model takes 47 ft/lbs then use the above method
Don't forget to coat the head gasket in copper spray and let it air dry for about a minute so it gets real sticky before you put the gasket and head back on the block.

If you want some more performance get some cams and advance your ignition timing

Only place I know of that offers 5sfe and 4afe cams is www.webcamshafts.com and those will be the biggest power adder you can do for either of those engines n/a.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
Ah, good man. :)

I was about to tell you that you wasted your $$$ [the 5S is a great engine, but sucks for NA tuning].

3SGE/GTE is also 36 ft/lbs and a 90* turn.

*You need it in NM, don't you. :D
Or maybe not, being in the UK...
Either way, it's 49 NM.*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for that, i dont think i could have got a manual shipped from the us in time for the work haha.

so as far as the mods go am i just looking at the cams then? i know im not going to get a great deal more power without going turbo but every little helps.

cheers

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
the 3sge will make a ton of power with a ton of money and will be a nightmare to drive, the more power the less you will be able to drive it around town because it will be so radical, just use common sense when you choose cams and such and watch the rpm range

1 - 7 of 7 Posts