Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a camry1996 5sfe engine with 418k miles on it.

Originally I was told that for $100, the shop would re-surface the head, hot tank parts, and replace the valve seals for me. This morning they gave me a call saying that all valves are leaking after a compression test, they would need $225 for the full job!

I thought the new seals (comes with my head gasket set) were to seal the valves (with the originally quoted $100), what then does the full job do?

BTW, they said they would need the camshafts bearing caps and bolts, lifter for the valves and shims for this job (which I didn't give them initially).

Thanks all!

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
It seems like the “Full Job” is to do all that they explained for $100 plus the delta difference to arrive at $225 for the total costs and assemble the entire head with the (new?) valves and assembled head with CAM lobes etc...etc...

I would call them and ask them carefully what the “Full Job” consists of.

·
Registered
77 Posts
At 418k miles, they probably mean that the valves and seats need to be lapped (or fully cut with new valves). You can lap them yourself if you want. Youtube valve lapping.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Seems like my Camry with 532,681+ original miles would need such Valve work but, it is my opinion that I will allow the PRO SHOP (Machine Shop) to do it.

Guess, I would be looking forward in this sometime in the future and hopefully LATER than SOONER! HA!

·
short-throw dipstick
5,916 Posts
That's a fair price for grinding the valves and doing the initial bout of work OP mentioned.

EDIT: If they asked for the other stuff you mentioned, they'll be doing valve clearances as well. Even better at that price.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yup, fair price. You can do it yourself, but at that price, and assuming it's a three-angle valve grind, I'd definitely go for it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You also could of just asked them.
I view these forums as a place to discuss issues and bounce questions and ideas off of forum members that may have more experience than me or actually ran into a specific issue. Its evident that OP was questioning his own mind was he getting delt with fairly or was machine shop blowing smoke just to get more money. Second and maybe third opinions are never a bad idea.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I view these forums as a place to discuss issues and bounce questions and ideas off of forum members that may have more experience than me or actually ran into a specific issue. Its evident that OP was questioning his own mind was he getting delt with fairly or was machine shop blowing smoke just to get more money. Second and maybe third opinions are never a bad idea.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Correct, it's never a bad idea but at the same time it seems he didn't ask them. Or maybe he did, who knows. It's one of those things where if he asked if they could show him that relief comes earlier. Now if they refused to show, then yes that makes sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts