Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a 04 Camry V6 SE. The question I have is when I put the car in drive, the light on the dashboard is bright green. When I switch on the head lights, the "D" on the dashboard gets dimmer, but in the other gears, the brightness of the light stays constant when the headlights are on or off. I was wondering if they made it that way or if this is a defect. Thanks!

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
I am pretty sure it is because it takes more power to have the car in drive & use the headlights (which draw a lot of power). So the bulb may grow slightly dimmer and is nothing to worry about. Simple distribution of power throughout the car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
well i just learn this in class :D the " D" is on a series/parallel connection. there is a certain amount of voltage for your overall dash. They all share from 1 source. So if you turn things on, other things get dimmer because whatever your turned on is requiring energy. pretty much what epborden said.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Um, not quite... It is not a defect. It is because during the day, to see the D, it needs to be bright enough to overcome the bright surroundings of daylight and remain visible. At night however (when your headlights are on) the bulb is switched to lower voltage so that it dosent glare in the darkness of night, like your clock.

- Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just wondering if this was a defect because this didn't happen with the other gears, R, P, L, 2, 3.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
right on bassthrive...you would want to know if you are in any other gear other than drive is you are on the road late at night.

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
my D light in the dash is out. The other ones are ok though. So, everyday I shift to the light that's out, I know it's my D.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oooo. It was jsut weird for me since I have a Highlander and this doesn't happen on that car. I was just a bit curious. Thanks!

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
Ask the dealer.....any probs wit my 04 Cam I call the dealer, they don't mind taking a sec and looking at my car if i have a prob, but of course without a charge/.

·
Registered
Celica
303 Posts
Normal

This, is normal, my D light did go out, went to the dealer to have the bulb replaced costed a good buck, because, they suggested to replace all dash bulbs anyways, while they were in there. They did warrantied the bulbs for 1 year parts/labour anyways. The reason for the D getting dimmer, is that you are always in driving mode anyways, therefore the light is less distracting. Thats the reason, if D was too bright, then it would be irratiating.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine went out too i just took the gauge cluster out and switched the bulbs around. Took like ten mins.

·
Registered
Celica
303 Posts
fast

Wow if that took you that quick, should have posted it to the board, maybe could've done it myself with instructions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the bulb goes out unscrew the cluster, take the dash off pull out the cluster. Than pull the middle piece throw in a new bulb and put it back together.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is not a defect. On the '03 and the '04 for sure, the D is a bit a dimmer than the rest of the transmission indicator lights whether the headlight is on or off, the difference is more noticeable when the headlights and/or parking lights are on. Usually the lights are dimmed a bit to reduce distraction for night time driving and as someone mentioned brighter during the day to overcome the ambient light. The clock display and radio brightness should dim (easier to notice during the day) when you turn on the headlights and/or parking lights.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
In my car, when I put it into "D" it dosn't even light up. I consider it a "feature" because I dont even have to be looking or even paying attention to anything when I shift to Drive. I just have to shift it until the light goes out. Plus I dont like a lot of things lighting up while Im driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts