Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in a front end collision with my 1997 camry :-( Both airbags deployed. Fortunately, there was no structural damage, just cosmetic.

In addition to the air bags, I will have to replace the following parts:

-Hood
-Bumper Cover (built-in front grille)
-Headlight and Turn Signal Assemblies

Ok my question is this:

The 2000-2001 Camry was the same body style as the 1997, but had some cosmetic changes made. The front end was slightly redesigned, and the shape of the grille and headlights were changed. (of course, anyone who can answer the question i'm about to ask probably already knows this :))

So here is my question: Do I need to limit myself to parts from a 1997-1999 Camry? Or can I repair my car using parts from a 2000-2001? I would assume I can, since the shape of the area for the headlights is determined by the shape of the grille, hood, and bumper. So can I use the parts, or are the mounts completely different?

Like I said, I would assume I can since the frame was not changed.

Thank you everyone who has some insight into this question, I appreciate your help in advance. I need to get my car back to its original condition!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I make sure my turn signals are from a '97-'99 then I should be able to keep the fenders right? Since the seam between the headlights and turn signals is in the same place as the seam between the hood and fender, then it seems to follow that the fenders determine the shape of the turn signals, just like the hood, bumper and grille determine the shape of the headlights.

It might not line up, and it may seem like a pretty desperate plan, but here's my situation: my insurance company wants to total a car that barely has any damage. I don't want to let them do that, so I'm coming up with a little estimate of my own, it may involve having a '97 that looks like a '00 or '01 from the front, but oh well, it'll let me keep my car. Since the car is financed, I need to get this little bit of body work done... the air bags are what might total it.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding parts for a '97 anywhere cheap, whereas you can hop on ebay and find lots of parts for the '00-'01, including some carbon fiber hoods that might not look great on a light blue car, but that are a lot cheaper than an metal OEM hood.

So please everyone help me figure out if the mounts will line up or not, if you have a 97-99 and your friend has an 00 or 01 then please, check the mounts and tell me if they line up or not, and if the whole plan will work. Thank you

·
yah ..... okay
USE20
383 Posts
the 97-99 turn signal will not line up with the 00-01 headlight.
u'll need 00-01 hood, fender, bumper, headlight grill and turn signal. Even then you might need some do some fabracation to make them fit. I haven't seen anyone tickle this before.

and i think steel OEM hood would be cheaper than carbon fiber.
If you see carbon fiber hood that is cheaper than steel, make sure they are "REAL" carbon fiber. You should be able to get OEM hood at local junk-yard.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
look closely at a 00-01 there are many subtle differences and although it would be appear to be a straightforward bolt-on kind of a thing there are things that won't line up to the '97-99

you will need a whole new 00-01 front end
headlights
headlight brackets/mounts
turnsignals
bumper
left & right front fender

i'm not sure how the fenders would line up to the door i don't know how different it is on an 00-01

its probly easier to try to do this conversion rather than say an es300 conversion but i would expect some welding to make it fit properly.

good luck with it
Keri

·
Registered
Camry
91 Posts
2000-2001 camrys had separate bulbs for high/low beams(9005,9006) instead of the one bulb (9003) setup in the 1997-2000 camrys so you would have to get new wiring for the headlights too.

·
Go camry goooooo
5,109 Posts
btrek said:
2000-2001 camrys had separate bulbs for high/low beams(9005,9006) instead of the one bulb (9003) setup in the 1997-2000 camrys so you would have to get new wiring for the headlights too.
just gonna say that, and also the mounting on the lights is different, you would have to mock up something

1 - 9 of 9 Posts