Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
450 #$%^ #$%^&* miles on my truck and pow! The guy in front of me with an F150 and wheels too large for his fenders flips up a stone into my windshield. It put a nice pock in the driver's side and will probably spread. I got the guy's tag and he works construction just up from my house, so finding him again isn't a problem.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a privately-owned vehicle driver to pony up for a windshield? I have zero-deductible on glass with State Farm, but it's the principle. If this guy had not been running vastly outsized tires, my windshield would not be cracked.

Heck, maybe I'll just go get a PPG windshield and be done with it..

-- mike

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
skidmike said:
450 #$%^ #$%^&* miles on my truck and pow! The guy in front of me with an F150 and wheels too large for his fenders flips up a stone into my windshield. It put a nice pock in the driver's side and will probably spread. I got the guy's tag and he works construction just up from my house, so finding him again isn't a problem.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a privately-owned vehicle driver to pony up for a windshield? I have zero-deductible on glass with State Farm, but it's the principle. If this guy had not been running vastly outsized tires, my windshield would not be cracked.

Heck, maybe I'll just go get a PPG windshield and be done with it..

-- mike

I'd just use the insurance. IMO, you ain't gonna get him to pay..he'll ask you to prove it was his tire and the rock came from his truck....which you can't unless you have video, which you don't. He may be a super nice guy that will pony up, but honestly, he can't be sure you are an honest guy that's wanting his windshield repaired for the right reasons or if you're some crazy guy trying to get the company with deep pockets to repair a windshield that was broken weeks ago.... knowwhutimean, vern? If you want to wait, get some of that repair junk from wal-mart or advance auto...it will keep it from splitting your windshield from corner to corner. Good luck!

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Sorry to say but you can't really prove that it was his truck that caused the problem. Unless have like what eyedoc said, hard evidence. Were you riding his a$$?

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Damn. So close to AZ, but yet so far.
Glass covereage is free in AZ / no deductables. State law.
Petition the governor. lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go with your insurance & get replaced with $0 deductible :

1. In most states, the person who owned or was driving the car is only responsible for damages if the rock came from inside the truck or from the bed of the truck. Generally, the "offender" wouldn't be responsible for damages arriving as a result of a rock coming from the road... even if the dimwit had huge tires to compensate for other issues he had.

2. Like the others said, unless the guy's a laydown and bends over easily, you'd have to prove it, and that could take more time & money than what the windshield was worth.

3. Don't mess with construction workers too much unless you're looking to get your a** kicked. I manage the purchasing end of my company's dealings with contractors & construction activities, and under the best of circumstances these guys can be a handful to manage. I try to keep them happy ( doughnuts anyone? ). Make friends with the guy and maybe you can borrow some tools from him or something.

It's frustrating, I know. I bought my 07 Taco on 12/08, and on 12/12 was going to lunch and a rock cracked my windshield on the passenger's side. I'm going to wait to have mine replaced..... they're building alot of stuff around here and big dumptrucks everywhere for the next 2 months. Will probably happen again.

Good luck !
:nutkick:

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Where would you guys buy a new windshield from? I've heard there are better brands than the stock toyota one. Not sure about that but I imagine that windshields are like most other parts. You can buy a really nice one.....or a shitty one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
R0dzilla7 said:
Where would you guys buy a new windshield from? I've heard there are better brands than the stock toyota one. Not sure about that but I imagine that windshields are like most other parts. You can buy a really nice one.....or a shitty one.
Most insurance companies will dictate who to use to replace it. My experience has been good with who they've recommended, plus if there's a problem, you can finger them for choosing a bad provider, and they'll usually pony up to get it fixed right. Most insurance installers ( USAA, Allstate ) I've used have put in OEM glass.

Every Toyota I've ever had ( 3 ), plus everyone my mom's had ( 4 ) has had the windshield broken at some point... I think the windshield must be pretty thin or something. The sound when they get hit with a rock is "tinny" compared w/ my Passat or earlier BMW's I've had with broken windshields.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Brand new windshields for our trucks can be had for little over $200.

Having said that... I had a rock chip repaired last summer, and fully expected it to spread by now. It's been fine though. Glad I saved the money and went with the repair. Although... I've got a 2nd chip now, and have no idea where it came from. :disappoin

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Sport
216 Posts
TIP - Make sure you get the factory TOYOTA windshield molding! The Safelite Auto "OEM" crap that I had was junk and looks horrible. It extends 1/2" higher because of the "upgraded" rain channels. Well they suck and it looks like crap, trust me! Get everything TOYOTA, windshield too. Insurance companies have no problem approving request like these. And why aren't you putting a claim in through them again? Comprehensive claims will not raise your premiums. Why not feel like you're getting something for your hard earned money, CLAIM IT!

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Sport
216 Posts
Windshields are windshields. They all have two layers of glass with plastic in the middle. I'm not a glass expert but I highly doubt that one wiould be significantly better than others, especially since they all have to be DOT approved. The factory Toyota windshield is not made by them, but you still pay more than an aftermarket because of the name.

R0dzilla7 said:

·
Registered
06 Tacoma DC 4X4
196 Posts
I know here in Missouri it is considered a traffic accident and you can get an accident report made. However I think your insurance company would probably go ahead and pay for it. My sister had that happen in Iowa and she had the plate number and her friend knew the driver of the other car. My sister's insurance company just went ahead and paid for it. Too much hassle to fight with the other ins. co. I guess.

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
Nafterclifen said:
Windshields are windshields. They all have two layers of glass with plastic in the middle. I'm not a glass expert but I highly doubt that one wiould be significantly better than others, especially since they all have to be DOT approved. The factory Toyota windshield is not made by them, but you still pay more than an aftermarket because of the name.
That is not true.

The Toyota windshield is of higher quality than the ones Safelite offers.

Boone or someone on here pointed this out...

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
same happened to wifes 07 CRV... less than 400 miles on the odo... deductable was $100 for me... just call up the insurance company...

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here in MS, you have to prove the debris fell off the truck. He isnt liable if the debris was picked up from the road and thrown by the tire........

I wouldnt pay anybody if I ran over a rock and it flew up and cracked their windshield...... I'd be writing checks every day as much as I drive on these crappy MS highways.

With the previous said, i never drive with anything that could fall off my truck or my utility trailer.....

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
The best thing to do is dont follow so close:D
I ran over a ladder that fell off a truck on the highway once. Saw the truck backing up to pick it up and followed him to get his plate #. I called the police (what a pain to get the right person while your on the highway) and waited on the side of the road for the police to come and take a report. After about an hr he made it there(makes me feel safe) took his report called the plate number in and I got the guys name and insurance company. I Drove it home went to a buddys house and put it on a lift and every thing was fine so I didnt go any further with it. I couldnt believe that nothing happened though, I was in my A4 and jumped the ladder at like 75 mph. The cop said they would be reliable for any damage.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
You've never driven in Colorado have you?

I'd say 85% of the cars/trucks have some form of cracked windshield. I'm on borrowed time, since the 3 cars we own all have unscathed windshields. I know I'll curse the crap out of the car/truck that throws up a rock into my windshield, but it's part of living in a state that loves to gravel the roads.

·
Unleashed....
2005 Tacoma V6
212 Posts
cj99si said:
The best thing to do is dont follow so close
+1 You'll have better reaction time too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My windshield cracked too after a month of having my truck because of a rock. Safelite replaced by glass too. The will use their own glass called "SCG" and they claim it is OEM equivalent, which I do not believe. I did some research and many people have horrible experience with their glass. It is thin, cracks easily, and cause distorted vision. When Safelite replaced my windshield, I made them use original Toyota glass and seals. My glass deductible was $100 so it didn't cost me extra to get the more expensive Toyota glass.

·
07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me on sunday. Why don't you just go and get a windsheild repair kit..the syringe type one...works pretty damn good of you follow the instructions...can barely see my hole at all. I think it was $9 at pep boys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts