Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Highlander Limited Platinum with JBL Audio (and 360 Camera, etc.). I really like the vehicle, except for not having CarPlay. I realize there are some solutions available (CarPlay Solution Round-up. Recommendations?), but I'm currently leaning toward this Dasaita PX6 10.2 Android head unit (PX6+DSP+Carplay/Android Auto(Highlander 2014-2018):

I've reviewed the following threads to learn as much as possible about the limitations and nuances of these devices:

Upon reviewing this info, there seem to be some caveats to using this head unit (hissing noises, etc.), but the seller is providing firmware updates and wiring harnesses as needed to try to address them.

For those that are currently using the PX6+DSP+Carplay/Android Auto unit (Amazon link above), what are the current limitations? What functions on the vehicle will I lose as it stands today with the latest updates and harnesses?

From what I've read, when I order the unit, I need to specify that I have a JBL audio system. Anything else I need to specify to ensure I get everything specific to my vehicle?

Additionally, what extra harnesses, adapters, etc. do I need to purchase? I think I need to purchase these to keep the factory GPS:
Do I need to purchase anything else?

Basically, I'm looking for advice on what I can expect if I purchase this device, and what I need to purchase to retain as many factory features are possible. Should I take the plunge?

Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After deliberating for a while, I decided to go for it and ordered the Dasaita:
I'm crossing my fingers I don't run into nagging issues with hissing noises, etc. Fortunately Amazon has a great return policy if so.

Does this version come with wireless CarPlay, in addition to wired CarPlay of course? I couldn't find confirmation.

Anyone know where installation videos and instructions can be found that are specific to a 3rd Gen Highlander, possibly specifically to my vehicle if it makes a difference (e.g., JBL audio system, 360 Camera, etc.)?

And lastly, for those that have already done this, any advice and on what to do, and mistakes to avoid, during installation?

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
2016 highlander XLE, 2012 highlander se, 2009 camry se
85 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Would love to hear your thoughts on the radio now.
I love it and wish I would have upgraded my Highlander sooner than 35k miles rather than tolerating the terrible OEM (Entune) radio. I initially had an echo issue when making calls via CarPlay, which was resolved with an update. If you're considering making this upgrade, I can't recommend it enough. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love it and wish I would have upgraded my Highlander sooner than 35k miles rather than tolerating the terrible OEM (Entune) radio. I initially had an echo issue when making calls via CarPlay, which was resolved with an update. If you're considering making this upgrade, I can't recommend it enough. Good luck with your decision.
Good to hear! I've had mine installed for about 2 years now and love it, no other manufacturer comes close to the fit & finish the Dasaita has.. Carplay & Android Auto work flawlessly every time.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Limited Platinum Hybrid
8 Posts
I feel like I'm heading down the same road as you @Doc_Ox, I recently purchased a used 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum and wanted to know if the Dasaita deck was a good choice. Sounds like it was. Just had a few questions since you've got it.

Were you able to get the factory GPS wiring connected with the mentioned adapters?
Is your unit running Android 9 or 10?
What things are no longer function when switching over to the Daisaita? I'm concerned about my 360 camera, I heard it still works in reverse but not an option to auto switch over when rolling to a stop. Not a biggy if it won't do it, just want to be prepared to what I'm losing when switching over.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Highlander Ltd Platinum
33 Posts
Mine has zero issues and sounds amazing except the radio cant get am LOL it's ok I now have Android Auto.

Anyone in Canada who has a car play version and wants to buy a wireless Dongle let me know $50 mailed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 309753 Mine has zero issues and sounds amazing except the radio cant get am LOL it's ok I now have Android Auto.

Anyone in Canada who has a car play version and wants to buy a wireless Dongle let me know $50 mailed.
Is that the new iOS 14 CarPlay, or do you have a different launcher. I just installed that unit and I like how your screen looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 309753 Mine has zero issues and sounds amazing except the radio cant get am LOL it's ok I now have Android Auto.

Hi again. How did you get rid of the hissing sound from the speakers? That’s my only issue remaining with the installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi again. How did you get rid of the hissing sound from the speakers? That’s my only issue remaining with the installation.

What harness did you use? Mine hisses as well with jbl. The signal is too high as well. I am starting to think I used the wrong harness. I just went and looked through the box and found these two harnesses. Maybe I was supposed to install them and I am currently running high level signal to my amp?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes i used the adapter had to buy seperate for 10 bucks from the vender who SOLD it .
Make sure you also ground the unit i used the left top bolt from the old unit just push the ground behind the plastic and make sure it's making good contract to the metal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you using a after market amp and using the factory jbl amp you will need atleast 2 or 4 male to two female y splitters as well depending on what you are powering with what.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is that the new iOS 14 CarPlay, or do you have a different launcher. I just installed that unit and I like how your screen looks.

That is the Android AUTO launcher not the Car Play version

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes i used the adapter had to buy seperate for 10 bucks from the vender who SOLD it .
Make sure you also ground the unit i used the left top bolt from the old unit just push the ground behind the plastic and make sure it's making good contract to the metal.
Thanks for the information. I did same as Hockey930 and didn’t include that harness. I will re-do using your install as a guide. What are your system settings that helped as well. Great info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installing the adapters I posted in the picture above with the RCA's solved my noise and volume issues! I also moved the ground wire to the top left (drivers) screw hole.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the updates and feedback on this deck. I've also been doing a ton of research and decided on the same deck, but not from Dasaita. I found it on Aliexpress (US $58.25 23% OFF|1 din Android 10.0 PX6 Car Radio Stereo GPS Navi Audio Video Multimedia Player Unit PC Wifi BT HDMI AMP 7851 OBD DAB+ SWC 4G+64G|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress) for ($216 after tax) and bought the trim kit on Aliexpress ($19) and Crux wiring harness separately ($60), so $295 total instead of $570. Unfortunately shipping time is awful but I am ok with waiting since I have barely drove around in 6 months. I will update as well.

As far as updating the software, what did you have to do for that? I am sure I will need to do that at some point.

Also, did anyone install amps with this? I am going to be doing a 4channel for the speakers and a 1channel for a sub (still have to build abox).

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the updates and feedback on this deck. I've also been doing a ton of research and decided on the same deck, but not from Dasaita. I found it on Aliexpress (US $58.25 23% OFF|1 din Android 10.0 PX6 Car Radio Stereo GPS Navi Audio Video Multimedia Player Unit PC Wifi BT HDMI AMP 7851 OBD DAB+ SWC 4G+64G|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress) for ($216 after tax) and bought the trim kit on Aliexpress ($19) and Crux wiring harness separately ($60), so $295 total instead of $570. Unfortunately shipping time is awful but I am ok with waiting since I have barely drove around in 6 months. I will update as well.

As far as updating the software, what did you have to do for that? I am sure I will need to do that at some point.

Also, did anyone install amps with this? I am going to be doing a 4channel for the speakers and a 1channel for a sub (still have to build abox).

Thanks!
It looks like you don't need integration for the jbl amp so you should be all set there. Do you have the 360 camera, or want built in carplay/android auto? I needed all of the options, but luckily someone on here was selling a used unit that I picked up. If you don't need the options I guess there is no point in paying for them. I do question weather head unit reloaded is better than zlink anyway, and that's only $5. ( have only used with android auto).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your reply, and I should have specified. I have the non-JBL highlander XLE. I didn't even think about the 360 camera. Have you heard anything good/bad about it? I thought about the android auto but haven't used it. I didn't know if it would be a no-cable kind of thing for android auto, but I should probably continue my research. Would you be able to make any recommendations? I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installing the adapters I posted in the picture above with the RCA's solved my noise and volume issues! I also moved the ground wire to the top left (drivers) screw hole.
I installed the harness as well. It fixed the loud volume issue, but I can still hear the amp hiss if the engine isn’t running. With the engine going, I can’t hear it. Something else however. My wife (better hearing) hears a beep every few seconds. It is way lower than the beep of the radio touchscreen input and I don’t hear it. Anyone else have this?.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts