Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Starting a new thread, so we don't confuse people.

No hiss for me (no JBL), I seem to have issues with the steering wheel buttons though.

Does anyone know how to get it to support ExFat or NTFS formatted USB drives?
Trying making sure your canbus mode is on 8. See image.

Not related to your steering wheel issue but i did reach out to the sellar regarding that hiss and they asked me if i have the model with the JBL unit. I said yes and without any more questions they said they'll be sending out another harness wire.
So it looks like maybe there is a slightly different harness depending if it has the JBL amp or doesn't?

I'm curious since you don't have any hiss or anyhting do you have a higher trim model with the eco green jbl system or no?

20190602_203223uyty.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not related to your steering wheel issue but i did reach out to the sellar regarding that hiss and they asked me if i have the model with the JBL unit. I said yes and without any more questions they said they'll be sending out another harness wire.
So it looks like maybe there is a slightly different harness depending if it has the JBL amp or doesn't?

I'm curious since you don't have any hiss or anyhting do you have a higher trim model with the eco green jbl system or no?

View attachment 241978

I feel like an idiot, but how do I get to that screen? I looked through every single menu and can't find it.

Anyway, I'm on the base trim, so no JBL :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I feel like an idiot, but how do I get to that screen? I looked through every single menu and can't find it.

Anyway, I'm on the base trim, so no JBL :)
Go to the car setting settings that should have "other settings" and "factory settings" under it.

You'll want to select factory settings there and the password by default is 126.

And once you enter that you'll see the canbus option.

Thanks for confirming your non JBL status. It lends some legitimacy then to the hissing issue being the result of a non jbl wiring harness. Probably doesn't ground to the portion of the amp that is needed to eliminate it in side the unit itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to the car setting settings that should have "other settings" and "factory settings" under it.

You'll want to select factory settings there and the password by default is 126.

And once you enter that you'll see the canbus option.
Thanks for that. I just checked, and my settings are identical to your screenshot. Could my canbus unit have come loose?

Also, have you figured out a way to enable ExFat reading for USB drives? I can't copy anythign bigger than 3.9gb to fat32 USB drives.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for that. I just checked, and my settings are identical to your screenshot. Could my canbus unit have come loose?

Also, have you figured out a way to enable ExFat reading for USB drives? I can't copy anythign bigger than 3.9gb to fat32 USB drives.
Loose... or didn't plug in correctly. Only one way to find out. Pull it out and check your connections. I recommend testing the unit with the car on to make sure it's working before you put all the trim and everything all back together.

·
Registered
35 Posts

View attachment 241978
it seems like the current JBL harness they have is still problematic, so the engineers are working on isolating the amp/dsp voltage output to neutralize the noise. I was told they have to make a whole new harness.. no eta on those yet.

i'm also waiting on getting some of the apps/apk that came pre-loaded

·
Registered
142 Posts
it seems like the current JBL harness they have is still problematic, so the engineers are working on isolating the amp/dsp voltage output to neutralize the noise. I was told they have to make a whole new harness.. no eta on those yet.

i'm also waiting on getting some of the apps/apk that came pre-loaded
Wait aren't they sending you some new cable that supposedly is for the JBL versions? there's no way you got it already so i'm curious how could you know that it still has issues?

They asked me if i have a JBL trim highlander and right away send they'll send me out a new cable i would hope they aren't just sending a random identical harness to what i already have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
no, i didn't get it yet, but seems like other people had reported issues with the current JBL harness they have, so instead of sending that harness, they have to make/test a new one.

btw, @scythe000 thanks for attaching pics of your apps in the other thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
no, i didn't get it yet, but seems like other people had reported issues with the current JBL harness they have, so instead of sending that harness, they have to make/test a new one.

Thanks for clarifying. well hopefully they work fine since they seemed confident in sending them as a instant solution.
Any lucky trying to use one of the extra wires that is labeled w/ amp something to work as a ground to silence the hiss? now that you mentioned it there's a few unused wire tips that have a plastic cover on them.

Also can you provide a link to where i can find more information on people's experience w/ this JBL harness having issues? wouldn't mind reading what exactly they found.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

You're very welcome!

·
Registered
35 Posts
today i noticed 2 things in the dash panel display (behind the steering wheel)
1) when you go to the navigation option, it's blank (this i can understand due to a different GPS supplied) i bought the adapter to get the OEM gps antenna connected, so once i do that i'll report back (waiting to get an updated harness before i pull the system apart to connect the GPS antenna adapter)
2) the audio option is also blank (doesn't display what's playing on the radio. this one i'm not sure of since there's no separate radio antenna, i don't think as the Dasaita radio is working fine (AM and FM)

can you guys check these options as see if it's also blank for you?

·
Registered
142 Posts
1) when you go to the navigation option, it's blank (this i can understand due to a different GPS supplied) i bought the adapter to get the OEM gps antenna connected, so once i do that i'll report back (waiting to get an updated harness before i pull the system apart to connect the GPS antenna adapter)
2) the audio option is also blank (doesn't display what's playing on the radio. this one i'm not sure of since there's no separate radio antenna, i don't think as the Dasaita radio is working fine (AM and FM)

If you take a look there was probably still a harness socket that had nothing plugging into it from the provided plug and play dasatia harness.
(in my case i had two left over since i didn't buy it GPS adapter and just used the antenna they provided)

At Least one of those left over harness plugs on the original wiring was feeding the map data and music data to the little screen you are reffering to.
Hence those two are missing. That's normal and to be expected is my understanding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Might be my trim level, but I don't think my little screen ever displayed that info.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got the diy made looking harness in the mail today. Literally looks like someone rewires something and then dipped it into glue on one end.

But with that said works perfect! JBL amp powered stereo sounds fantastic. Even at the 1 volume setting it is whisper quiet with just the sound of whatever you are playing. No different now between mute and unmute where as before was a faint and sometimes even loud hiss.

The harness they sent looks like a adapter that the original harness plugs into.

20190617_133431.jpg 20190617_133446.jpg 20190617_133450.jpg 20190617_191421.jpg 20190617_191424.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts