Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Android-9-0-Car-Radio-2-Din-GPS-Navi-for-Toyota-Highlander-2014-2015-2016-2017/32993621385.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.494c4c4dBT52qu

on a side note the updated android auto looks fantastic... running it wirelessly through headunit reloaded and it's smoother than ever for some reason. Could be because there was an update for headunit reloaded recently as well.
i def think you get the best pricing at aliexpress (they sell the same unit on Amazon, eBay and aliexpress). I'm guessing their listing fee on Aliexpress is the lowest and they pass the savings to the users.

I also got the harness in the mail yesterday but did not have a chance to install it. Will do tonight. My harness doesn't have that white stuff around it though..

What is the 'headunit reloaded' you're talking about?

Also, do you notice the brightness of the screen is dull? mine seems pretty much faded when i'm driving out in the sun. Could you send me a pic of your home screen if possible in daylight? I still have the factory lcd protector on since i'm constantly taking it in and out for adding stuff. I might end up getting a 10.1 inch tablet tempered glass protector to protect the screen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i def think you get the best pricing at aliexpress (they sell the same unit on Amazon, eBay and aliexpress). I'm guessing their listing fee on Aliexpress is the lowest and they pass the savings to the users.

I also got the harness in the mail yesterday but did not have a chance to install it. Will do tonight. My harness doesn't have that white stuff around it though..

What is the 'headunit reloaded' you're talking about?

Also, do you notice the brightness of the screen is dull? mine seems pretty much faded when i'm driving out in the sun. Could you send me a pic of your home screen if possible in daylight? I still have the factory lcd protector on since i'm constantly taking it in and out for adding stuff. I might end up getting a 10.1 inch tablet tempered glass protector to protect the screen.
Headunit reloaded is an app you can purchase. It allows you to connect and run Android auto completely wirelessly. No need to plug it in. (I use a wireless magnetic charger mounted to my air vent so it's very convenient. Just take the phone and go when getting out. No check to make sure you don't yank it out while it's still connected which i tend to do.

All you need to do is put android auto into developer mode and select it to allow unknown sources.

Just realized i should clarify... install and run android auto on your phone. Install and run headunit reloaded from your car anroid unit. Then you'll be able to make wireless convenient magic happen.

Regarding brightness i haven't noticed anything fading wise. although it does get really hot while sitting directly in sunlight. I keep a large microfiber sleeve that came with my laptop in the car and actually just put that on top of the screen if i know it's going to be a really hot day. Long term solution looking at ceramic film tint to cut out heat in the car. Love having the glass roof exposed in the summer but it's just too hot the way it is from factory. Needs to have better heat filtering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i also got the harness installed yesterday afternoon, no more hiss which is awesome!
While i had the unit out, i connected the factory GPS using another adapter i purchased.

next project is adding my 360 camera i purchased from amazon

·
Registered
101 Posts
can I use in a 2014? GPS antenna installed by default?

I've asked this elsewhere, but the adverts and descriptions of this unit say 2015-2019. My radio faceplate looks EXACTLY like the 2015 unit. In fact, that's one of the upgrades of the LE Plus trim: an Entune Plus radio. Can I used one of these nifty Dassaita units with my vehicle?

Also, anyone know if Toyota put GPS antennas into non-GPS cars? I have a 2014 LE Plus, with Entune Plus but no nav. Like to know if I have to install a GPS antenna.

Last, can these units use the factory microphone or do I need to install a new one?

·
Registered
35 Posts
you can reach out to the seller, would be your best bet. they have pretty good support, but it's delayed by a day since they're in China. Regarding the fitting, it may be that the harness they sell is different for the newer models, so you can always ask if they have it to support the old one.

they provide a GPS antenna with the headunit and you can run/hide it pretty easily

i haven't seen anyone say they've tapped into the factory microphone, but there are some videos on youtube where the supplied microphone is routed to the same position as the factory one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have to say now that i have the right harness for the JBL amp packaged car the sound has completely changed. The barely audible weak tinny front speakers up by the dashboard has depth to them and are pretty punchy. With the corrected harness (i guess i had the non jbl version sent originally) no hiss or feedback or anything what so ever even on low volume. Just pure silence with the music playing ever so quietly

The android head unit overall just seems to push much more power to the front speakers in a way that the OEM limited platinum had unit did not. Very happy.

Also now have the android auto wireless set up nearly 100% automated. only thing i have to sometimes is make sure the head unit server option is started in anrdoid auto. Everything else just goes after that once i select the wifi connect option in the "headunit reloaded" app on the car system side.

best bang for the buck IMO.

·
7,782 Posts
The android head unit overall just seems to push much more power to the front speakers in a way that the OEM limited platinum had unit did not. Very happy.

THat is because the output from the source or EQ from amp have been restricted in what frequencies play and what output level they play at.

I would be curious to take a volt meter and see how many volts output you are getting from this Andriod head unit.

If anyone can check that at the speaker level, that would be great info to have

·
Registered
217 Posts
So... I understand there’s an adapter to use the vehicles factory GPS antenna, but what about the mic? Can the factory microphone be connected to this HU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Decided to give this HU a try, along with a wired carplay dongle. Since I use a Kicker Key amp for my front and rear speakers, this wasn't a simple PlugnPlay, but everything seems to be working once I modified the harness and soldered in some new wires. I did note some speaker hiss at 0 volume though. Will have to dig more into the settings this week. Here's a pic taken from a old Samsung J3 I have. I left the screen protector on for now since I'll prob take the HU in/out a few times to work out any kinks.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
So... I understand there’s an adapter to use the vehicles factory GPS antenna, but what about the mic? Can the factory microphone be connected to this HU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i haven't seen anyone post anything about the factory mic. The Dasaita has a MIC input port, but the OEM doesn't so, it may have 1 maybe 2 wires that go up to the mic, which could possible be tapped into with the aftermarket MIC piece and get it to work possibly. The only things i've seen is people running the aftermarket MIC to the OEM position

·
Registered
35 Posts
i noticed 2 things that i'm still trying to figure out how to fix

1) playing something over youtube (maybe other anything other than the radio, i'll have to test) the sound seems to mainly come from the front speakers and the middle and rear ones are low volume. Not sure if it's the audio type being broadcasted or if it's the actual recording. Anyone else have that issue?

2) i've had the unit freeze on the bottom up logo (before it displays the toyota logo) and it needs to be powered off (no ACC power at all) for a while; haven't counted exactly how long before it will reset and be workable again. It won't work just by powering on/off. Anyone run into this and found a solution for it?

·
7,782 Posts
Sounds like a couple important issues. Why not try a number of differnt recordings AND sources to see how the sound behaves?
Also, I would contact the seller on the freezing, it can be a problem that a firmware is needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just installed this today but have 2 problems. When I plugged my phone in the main usb port it would shows charging but it's discharging my phone battery and the second problem is in the small window of the instrument panel it's showing Kilometers and liters not miles and gallons. Does anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just installed this today but have 2 problems. When I plugged my phone in the main usb port it would shows charging but it's discharging my phone battery and the second problem is in the small window of the instrument panel it's showing Kilometers and liters not miles and gallons. Does anyone have the same problem?
You can change it back to miles and gallons in the using the settings in the instrument panel.

What phone are you using? The amperage output from the USB is probably not enough to charge your phone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can change it back to miles and gallons in the using the settings in the instrument panel.

What phone are you using? The amperage output from the USB is probably not enough to charge your phone.
Thanks! forgot about the settings in the instrument panel. I have an iphone 7plus, didn't have that problem with the original HU though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! forgot about the settings in the instrument panel. I have an iphone 7plus, didn't have that problem with the original HU though.
Did you wind up finding a way to charge your Iphone 7 Plus with this setup. Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you wind up finding a way to charge your Iphone 7 Plus with this setup. Please let me know. Thanks.
I sometimes used this HU with the wired Apple carplay dongle. The phone would charge ( but very slowly) if I have it plugged in but have the phone screen off. If the phone screen is on, the phone would still shows charging but it would discharge the battery sometimes very quickly if I use any apps especially any map apps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, after followed you guys and decided to get this HU. but so far i don't have any lucks on this unit.
1;The dual usb cable caused my wifi turns off and could not turn on unless remove this cable.
2; random static sound while listening to radio
3; unit would just randomly shutdown and reboot. seems like it lost power and turn on again

Currently reset to manufacture default, no additional apps even the igo maps and downgraded software from 20190730 to 20190726 or 20190611 and MCU V3.3 to V3.2.

Have you guys ran into this problem? awaiting from the seller and manufacture

21 - 40 of 49 Posts