Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
New member here...
I'm very close in purchasing this HU and I want to know if it supports 2018 Limited Platinum Ultrasonic parking sensors. Does it show on the screen the location of the object that is detected by one of the parking sensors? Does anyone made the Driver Easy Option work? Thanks!
Disregard my inquiry, just realized this forum is for non-JBL HU. Anyhow, I installed this on my 2018 Ltd. Platinum and it has beed working so far...

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey guys, sorry for the missed responses to the questions you guys asked me. The email i use for the forum is not configured on my phone so i never got updates about replies to this topic. here are a few updates on reading the previous threads. I have been busy with kids and traveling for work.. i'll try to catch up and answer the questions that were asked before...

Thank you @EastCoastMel
I have installed the above items and retained the factory gps. However, the small screen behind the steering wheel still does not show any gps information. Am I doing somethig wrong? Here is are the pictures of installation.
1. the screen behind the steering wheel doesn't display the info that is missing to this date. I am not sure if it has to do with a firmware update

Hello,
just curious, does the seller notifies customers that a new firmware is available or does the unit display a notice that a new firmware is available? Thanks!
2. the firmware update is not displayed on the head unit and the seller doesn't contact you about it. I've found that the seller support is really good, so from time to time you can always ask the seller if there is a new update available. Another place is to check for updates is xda-forums, they also have a specific community for head unit firmware (similar to the highlander community we have here)

Any update on the 360? i was thinking of doing this before the summer ends.
3. i have not had a chance to install the 360 camera yet, although i have purchased it and it's sitting in the garage. I do need to purchase a service manual to see how to take all the panels apart for the door and the trunk. i found a seller on eBay that sells it for around $7 and confirmed with them that they have the Hybrid version manual available

4. I do have a JBL head unit and there is a specific adapter for the JBL unit; you have to let the seller know if you have a JBL or non-JBL unit so they can send you the right harness

Do these two adapters also help to retain the 360 Birdeye camera?
5. i don't have a 360 pre-installed but i did read in some post that factory 360 is fully supported
@dishguy can you please post me the link for adapter to retain factory gps. I have been researching online and could not get the proper adapter for my Highlander 2019 to hook up with Dasaita px6.
6. i see someone already posted links for the adapter, but one thing i wanted to write is that you HAVE to buy those specific adapters but only end up using 1 harness in one of the multi-packs. So it's a bit of a waste, i wish they sold the pieces individually for a little less money. I tried buying some adapters that i thought would work just so i can guide people in the right direction but i ended up wasting more money and parts that didn't work

I do have some time off coming towards the end of the year so i'll attempt to finish the aftermarket 360 camera install then and take some install pics for it.

On a side note, i added some other aftermarket parts in case anyone is interested:
1. KING BIRD Updated Anti-Rust Design 520 lbs 60" x 24" x 6" Folding Cargo Carrier - they have a new version which came out right after my return period expired so i can't speak to the new model, but the one i got is pretty good. you will need an additional lock pin, but i recommend getting #4 below
2. CURT 13200 Class 3 Trailer Hitch - pretty straightforward install, they have pictures and video available.
3. TAC Running Boards Fit 2014-2019 Toyota Highlander - really easy install, sturdy and recommended
4. Master Lock 1479TAT Receiver Lock, 2 Pack - if someone wants to steal my carrier they can, this might make it a little harder though
5. Trailer Hitch Cover Tube Plug Insert,Receiver Tube Hitch Plug(Fits 2" Receivers), i bought mine from aliexpress, 2 pack for a fraction of the price
Few things I bought that didn't work:
1. on the factory cross bars, the Reese 1391300 Explore Rooftop Cargo Basket does not sit well. i returned this item. after getting the hitch and carrier installed, i don't think i have a need for a roof basket

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is there a special way to update the firmware without needing then reinstall and set everything up again from scratch app wise?

I updated it once and it was like a full system restore essentially but with a slightly updated UI

·
Registered
44 Posts
sorry guys, not quite sure what the fix/improvements are. Last time I asked, I was told that info wasn't provided by the engineers.

Is there a special way to update the firmware without needing then reinstall and set everything up again from scratch app wise?
I updated it once and it was like a full system restore essentially but with a slightly updated UI
there is a check box that asks if you want to wipe/delete everything for update. Make sure that is NOT checked. I've found the easiest way to update is go to Settings > System > System Update (have the flash drive with update.zip connected) and click update/install making sure delete stuff is not checked.

Also for anyone interested, i got Disney+ installed and running on my unit along with Netflix..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got mine installed today. Has anyone found a fix to the music cutting out when the cameras come on? Whether it reverse, parking, or 360 camera (2019 platinum HL), the music stops when the cameras are up and then returns when they go away.

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
673 Posts
Got mine installed today. Has anyone found a fix to the music cutting out when the cameras come on? Whether it reverse, parking, or 360 camera (2019 platinum HL), the music stops when the cameras are up and then returns when they go away.
Congrats!
Are you using an external amplifier? original speakers? I would go this route ,but sound quality is paramount for me. I have always used Alpine radios.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats!
Are you using an external amplifier? original speakers? I would go this route ,but sound quality is paramount for me. I have always used Alpine radios.
I am using all stock, and I have the JBL system and all that. I used the harnesses included and plugged in the RCAs required. Sound quality is great, and the head unit has amp outputs if you want external gear. I was a little concerned about sound quality because I have a Dasaita in my Tundra (also JBL system) and it has a low audio hiss that is super noticeable. They sent me a harness to fix it but I haven't got around to installing it. No issues with the Highlander, though!

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
673 Posts
thanks! one more thing: is the reverse camera video quality same as OEM radio? I've seen conflicting reports! I know it is using that canbus adapter to video RCA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks! one more thing: is the reverse camera video quality same as OEM radio? I've seen conflicting reports! I know it is using that canbus adapter to video RCA.
It's good enough. Also, I fixed the audio cut out during camera use. There was a setting for it. ??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just ordered a Dasaita PX6 for my 2018 Highlander (Limited with JBL / 360 Camera):

For those that have successfully installed this device, can you point me to installation videos and instructions that you used for your install? Any major 'do's and don'ts' you learned?

Just trying to educate myself as much as possible so I can hopefully avoid many of the nuances (e.g,. hissing noise, etc.) that others have already experienced and overcome.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those that have installed the Dasaita unit and aren't social distancing from this forum thread, I have questions related to the GPS Antenna and the Mic:

GPS:
  • Did you use the GPS antenna that is included with the Dasaita, or did you toss it to the side and use adapters to mate up to the vehicle's OEM GPS antenna?
  • If the Dasaita antenna is used, do you lose any performance if you mount it to the top of the radio rather that running up into the cabin.
MIC:
  • Did you use the external mic included with the Dasaita, or did you tie into the vehicle's OEM antenna?
I prefer to avoid running a bunch of external devices in my cabin if it's possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Installed the Dasaita PX6 and I'm hearing a buzzing noise (I think only from the front right speaker oddly). I've traced it to WiFi interference. Anyone else have this issue and overcome it?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts