Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can find bulbs for my dash lights? I'm talking about the larger ones (used for the Tach, Gas, Speed, Temp display).

I went to an Autozone down the street but they told me I'll probably only find those at a dealership.. and the closest Toyota dealership is about an hour away from my house.

#PC194

Thanks..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I'm not so familiar with bulbs.

Are you saying that I could buy the bulb only and replace it into the same socket?

I talked to the dealership and they told me they can order them $11/each. I don't know how much it costs to make one of those, but for $44 I could probably get a brand new instrument panel with working bulbs inside it.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
just goto the auto store and buy 194 /168 bulbs.. pull your old ones out of the holder and replace em.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anybody know any place to buy these besides online or a Toyota dealership? I'm down to one bulb in my dash and I can't find them anywhere.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
that bulb will come out of that grey socket, it was put in there, it will come out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know about you guys, but on my 91 LE they were built in. I'm 100% sure on that.

The simple little problem is really starting to bug me. So I replaced the fuse and the bulbs, still no working dash lights! Can't see anything at night! What else could it be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I searched and searched but didn't find anything useful.

I'm starting to think it's either bad wiring or a relay?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you are talking about the speedo/ tach illumiating lights, check if you have radio/ heater contol /ignition keyillumination working. Otherwise, check the ground, if OK, rotate the rheostat knob as its wiper may lose contact at this spot

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
i just swapped clusters in an 89 and all the bulbs pull out of the sockets, get another cluster or go to a junkyard and pull out the bulb sockets and then you can change bulbs

·
Registered
38 Posts
well i swapped the standard bulbs in my cluster with hi intencity green leds. and the standard bulbs came straight out there a lil hard to get out a first but once there out u can swap them

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
I cannot believe your dealership wanted $11 each for them. A couple of years ago I was visiting family in Toronto when two of the bulbs burnt-out. Bought all new bulbs for my guages for $0.30 each at a dealership in Scarborough. The guy almost gave them to me...

And yes, those bulbs WILL come out of the grey/black/green plastic housing. They're like corner marker bulbs--sometimes very tough to remove.

·
got tofu?
99 solara
73 Posts
these guys are all wrong.
That bulb in your picture is a #74 bulb available at Autozone. they are like 2-3 bucks for a pair. You can order led or colored ones from superbrightleds.com or autolumination.com

The 194 bulbs they are talking about is for your speedo cluster/dash are. that #74 bulb in your picture is for your HVAC (center dash -radio, climate control-) area.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
174 Posts
Im Bringing Back An Old Thread... I Just Ordered Some LED Dashlights.. Blue Ones To Be Exact.. And In My 91 WO/ The Tach.. They Are 194 Bulbs That DONT pull out. you have to replace the turn in peice. so u can put aftermarkets into them. you can find them here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6pcs...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
They Come From Hong Kong But Are Quality Peices To Replace Factory Dash Lights With Instead Of Paying $11 A Bulb At Toyota!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
That's weird, they must have changed it for the '91 models. Any reason why you went with blue? I imagine they'd be kind of hard to see at night. Green and orange are technically best for your eyes but I went with white LEDs for the sharp and clear look.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
174 Posts
That's weird, they must have changed it for the '91 models. Any reason why you went with blue? I imagine they'd be kind of hard to see at night. Green and orange are technically best for your eyes but I went with white LEDs for the sharp and clear look.
idk they must have but its a pain in the ass...ive done it once by riggin it with usin the old turn ins but the bulbs i got the color burnt off. but im goin with blue to match my interior colors. i got 10 of these for the dash/heater panel they had to come from hong kong tho but i only paid like $12 or so. and i have seen pics of the blue leds in the dash b4 and they look clean and sharp but blue instead lol.

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
idk they must have but its a pain in the ass...ive done it once by riggin it with usin the old turn ins but the bulbs i got the color burnt off. but im goin with blue to match my interior colors. i got 10 of these for the dash/heater panel they had to come from hong kong tho but i only paid like $12 or so. and i have seen pics of the blue leds in the dash b4 and they look clean and sharp but blue instead lol.
does anyone know the bulb type for the cluster lights??? like the main bulb that illuminates the dash

i want to make it white and not greenish..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts