Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase a two camera dash cam (front facing & rear facing). One camera will be mounted on the front windshield and the other will be mounted on the rear windshield. A wire from the front camera needs to be routed to the rear camera and another wire needs to be routed from the front camera to the 12 volt accessory socket. Any suggestions on how to run the wire from the front to the rear camera? Also, from the front camera to the accessory socket? The car has a moon roof (not panoramic). With regard to mounting the front camera. Where would you mount it; centered in the middle of the windshield or near the top of the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
620 Posts
I installed a ThinkWare F800 Pro with rear camera, using the Thinkware "hardwire" kit. I mounted the front cam directly to the forward facing cam behind the mirror. The cable to the rear was ran just inside the edge of the headliner. I ran pulled the A pillar off *CAREFULLY* (it doesn't come all the way off, and their is an airbag right behind it) and ran the hardware power (3 wires: ground, +12 always on, +12 on with car). I used fuse piggyback sockets to connect them, as to not cut ANY existing wires.

I'll see if I can post some install pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the same camera I ordered. Are you saying you mounted the front camera directly to the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror? I considered that but also considered mounting it below the plastic housing directly to the windshield or to the right of the mirror. That A pillar plastic looks difficult to remove without damaging it. Pictures would be great. How do you like the camera?

·
Premium Member
'18 Toyota Camry XSE
620 Posts
Yes, I mounted directly to the underside of the factory forward camera. It was the only place that I could find that wasn't in the driver's line of side, and was able to be fairly centered. The A-pillar is pretty easy to pop off, just don't pull too hard, it only comes out about 2~3 inches. It has nylon straps behind it that prevent it from hitting you when the airbag deploys. If you are hard wiring it, pick up this: http://a.co/7SXzw3w it will really simplify the wiring. Just use a volt meter to pick which existing fuses to use.

As for the camera.. Well, mixed results. The camera itself is great. I used a high-speed 128GB Lexar microSD. The recorded video is great, and the PC & Mac apps to review work well. I'm NOT happy with the iOS app. it does NOT support the iPhone X. I had to use my daughter's 6S to align the cameras and configure the settings.

Sorry about no pics. I've been stuck in bed with the flu for 3 days now.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't claim to be a professional or anything but hope this may help someone out selecting and installing one or two cameras. I had this same setup on my previous vehicle and it works great. The dash cams I use are Goluk T3. They're capacitor based which is the best options to use since batteries have a potential to fail in the heat. Along with the setup I use a battery back up (Anypower T plus Alpha). It was a cheaper option to the cell link B that everyone praises and this option works very well. Never had an issue. I've been using this battery back up and camera for 9 months. I have also made small clips of the quality of the cameras. These cameras are also wifi cams with parking guard that works very well. The cameras turn in way before you start to see any action occur when motion is detected. I've drawn a red line to show how I routed the wires. The wires are just barely tucked out of sight. They're not deeply pushed into the panels. Especially around the airbag panels. I have no concern about the wiring interfering with the operation of the airbags if necessary because they're loose and not attached.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
114 Posts
I don't claim to be a professional or anything but hope this may help someone out selecting and installing one or two cameras. I had this same setup on my previous vehicle and it works great. The dash cams I use are Goluk T3. They're capacitor based which is the best options to use since batteries have a potential to fail in the heat. Along with the setup I use a battery back up (Anypower T plus Alpha). It was a cheaper option to the cell link B that everyone praises and this option works very well. Never had an issue. I've been using this battery back up and camera for 9 months. I have also made small clips of the quality of the cameras. These cameras are also wifi cams with parking guard that works very well. The cameras turn in way before you start to see any action occur when motion is detected. I've drawn a red line to show how I routed the wires. The wires are just barely tucked out of sight. They're not deeply pushed into the panels. Especially around the airbag panels. I have no concern about the wiring interfering with the operation of the airbags if necessary because they're loose and not attached.

https://youtu.be/azq87FScSZY

https://youtu.be/NSQy4_J53G8

Oh wow! Thanks so much appreciate this. Now I don't have to take 5 hours tracing with a multimeter what fuse to use. What'd ya use for ground?

Sidenote: I had the upper console apart today trying to find something to power a dashcam with and its gotta be because I'm not experienced enough with a multimeter as I couldn't manage to get anything out of the harness going into the upper console!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Oh wow! Thanks so much appreciate this. Now I don't have to take 5 hours tracing with a multimeter what fuse to use. What'd ya use for ground?

Sidenote: I had the upper console apart today trying to find something to power a dashcam with and its gotta be because I'm not experienced enough with a multimeter as I couldn't manage to get anything out of the harness going into the upper console!
If you look at the picture where I have my battery backup there is a stud that sticks out right there that I utilized for the ground. My cameras run a couple days using the battery back up. On top of that the battery backup only cost me $120 versus $250 for a cell link b

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well here is a video from this morning of a dumb @$$ in a truck driving through the grass to merge onto traffic instead of following the road and I happen to be right there almost hitting me.it surely pays to have a camera to cover your @$$

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well here is a video from this morning of a dumb @$$ in a truck driving through the grass to merge onto traffic instead of following the road and I happen to be right there almost hitting me.it surely pays to have a camera to cover your @$$

https://youtu.be/K2vIvDJkI-s

Damn kind of wish you caught up to him and find his truck upside down. Another reason why I hate driving on merging lanes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Damn kind of wish you caught up to him and find his truck upside down. Another reason why I hate driving on merging lanes.
It wasn't a merging lane. He made his own lane going across the grass. Look at the video again at the car in front of him actually follow the road. He decided to make his own.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Obviously your defensive driving skills need some polishing ... when I see multiple vehicles trying to merge I move over, if I can't, I brake.

That's why I love the V6 ... silly people that won't move over are easily forced fed rear bumper.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Obviously your defensive driving skills need some polishing ... when I see multiple vehicles trying to merge I move over, if I can't, I brake.

That's why I love the V6 ... silly people that won't move over are easily forced fed rear bumper.
Obviously you don't see what actually happened. He wasn't suppose to be "merging over" h ran through the grass to "merge" on the freeway instead of following the road to the actual on ramp. This has nothing to do with power under the hood but point out stupid drivers.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Obviously you don't see what actually happened. He wasn't suppose to be "merging over" h ran through the grass to "merge" on the freeway instead of following the road to the actual on ramp. This has nothing to do with power under the hood but point out stupid drivers.

It's called situational awareness, watch out for the other guy ... I would of tried to move over well before the truck

·
Registered
803 Posts
It's called situational awareness, watch out for the other guy ... I would of tried to move over well before the truck
Good for you. There's no need to try to find something negative about someone sharing a video about how bad some drivers are. It seems to me that all you're doing is trolling. Probably don't even have cameras in your car but what do I know. I probably don't have a V6 my XSE either.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Good for you. There's no need to try to find something negative about someone sharing a video about how bad some drivers are. It seems to me that all you're doing is trolling. Probably don't even have cameras in your car but what do I know. I probably don't have a V6 my XSE either.

I have a camera, and it's golden ... never had to use it except for when tard in Acura was doing a ton in a 35 mph zone and couldn't make the turn and ended up on Air Force property

And in my opinion, you're the bad driver because you took evasive action at the last minute

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.