Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
We just purchased our first Toyota. A 2020 Rav4 Hybrid. I am thinking about a dash cam, but not sure if I should go with genuine Toyota, or an after market one.
Anyone have the genuine Toyota dashcam that could steer me in the right direction.
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
That my be a Toyota Canada accessory, not a factory installed unit. I don't see it on the Toyota USA site, even as an accessory.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,705 Posts
Like virtually any product, I vote aftermarket. I have a dual camera dash cam from Cobra and love it! Buying another one for my Avalon after the 1st of the year when prices drop. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been running the Viofo A119 for about the last six months or so. I bought it when I had my Dodge Charger after hitting a pipe at 80 on the interstate.
It will record for about 6 hrs depending upon the size of the card you have, and how you have it set up. I ordered the hardwire hit and a different mounting bracket.
I was about $115 all in.

Even with Canadian prices, I doubt that you can get an OEM camera for even close to that amount.

Good luck,

Exco

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,705 Posts
I just had an incident two days ago that compels me to buy a dash cam for the Avalon as soon as possible. Cliff Notes version is I was driving the speed limit in the middle lane on a three-lane road, and approached a woman (driving with hands at the ten and two o'clock position and looking straight ahead) driving in the far left fast lane but driving almost fifteen MPH under the posted speed limit. Naturally, as I drive past her she rapidly crossed over into my lane and, as judged by looking through my driver's side mirror, she missed trading paint with me by no more than one inch. Now, if we had made contact she could very easily have claimed I had been passing her and cut in front of her making a lane change, thus it was my fault. A dash cam would have been the unequivocal witness to the event and proved she was at fault. Just another example for why a dash cam is worth its weight in gold if you get into an accident that can be a case of the other person's word against your word.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts