Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Camry LE and neither the dash clock nor the dome light work but I'm unsure if they're related.

I checked the dome fuse under the hood and both of the 7.5a internal fuses (because neither of the internal were labeled with something that sounded like dome light) and all of them tested as working.

The dome light doesn't work even if it's switched on so it's not a door switch problem.

The dash lights (behind the speedometer/tach etc) seem to work just fine. My radio works but it's an after-market radio and I don't know how the power/fuse situation is set up.

The dome light bulb appears intact, the filament looks fine and not burnt out.

The dome light stopped working several years ago and I don't look at the dash clock often so I'm not sure if it went out at the same time but it was at least around the same time.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
The clock runs off of the dome fuse, the cig fuse, and the panel fuse. If you have checked the dome and the panel fuses ... 7.5 A each ... then check the 15A cig fuse.

If you are calling the personal overhead light the dome light, then that light works directly off of the same node as the left and right overhead vanity lights.
Do you have the left and right overhead vanity lights? Do they work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clock runs off of the dome fuse, the cig fuse, and the panel fuse. If you have checked the dome and the panel fuses ... 7.5 A each ... then check the 15A cig fuse.

If you are calling the personal overhead light the dome light, then that light works directly off of the same node as the left and right overhead vanity lights.
Do you have the left and right overhead vanity lights? Do they work?
By dome light I'm referring to the light in the center of the ceiling with the on/off/door switch. I don't think I have any other interior lights (other than the dash). I will check the 15a cig fuse in the morning. Is that under the hood, inside the car, or both?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
cig fuse

The 15A cig fuse is located in the instrument panel junction box.
I think there is a coin box all the way to the left, in the lower dash area, to the left of the steering column.
See if you can remove the coin box to expose the fuses.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
... dome light ...

... Do you have interior lights? These are the lights that come on when you open the doors. It looks like the interior lights, one at least, are located in the passenger side footwell.

The wiring diagram shows that you can turn the interior lights on or off, as well as letting an open door turn them on. Are you able to turn the interior lights on?

The interior lights are powered by the same node that goes to the dome light.

Do you have a 12V test light, to test for voltage at the dome light bulb socket?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 15A cig fuse is located in the instrument panel junction box.
I think there is a coin box all the way to the left, in the lower dash area, to the left of the steering column.
See if you can remove the coin box to expose the fuses.
I just tested the 15a cig fuse and it worked (and my cigarette lighter works fine, I have a phone charger plugged into it).

I don't think I have any interior lights other than the dome light. I stuck my head in the passenger side footwell and I didn't see anything that looked like a light.

I know that there used to be a green light around the ignition if a door was opened but that hasn't worked in a while, either.

At present, changing the on/off/door switch on the dome light doesn't make any lights come on and opening the door doesn't do anything other than initiate the open door chime.

I don't have a way to test the voltage but I should probably own a voltimeter so I can go buy one and test it.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
... open door warning light

Does a warning light come on ... in the instrument dash panel .... when a door is open?

I guess you mentioned this previously ... all you get is a warning chime ... right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does a warning light come on ... in the instrument dash panel .... when a door is open?

I guess you mentioned this previously ... all you get is a warning chime ... right?
Sorry, for got to mention that. Yes, in addition to the chime there's a red "door open" symbol that appears on the dash.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
If the open door warning light works, the wiring diagram indicates that you should be getting power to the dome light. These both get power from the same electrical node.

It would be convenient if you could actually check to see if you have voltage at one or the other of the metal terminals of the dome light.

I guess you need an inexpensive voltmeter or a 12V test light to do this.

I can't explain why you don't have an ignition key light. Maybe the bulb is burned out.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
18 Posts
I am having this issue also, 99 Camry. Center dome light won’t turn on, no voltage at all. Idk what else to do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts