Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Corolla DX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's probably an old thread in here somewhere about this but here you go. Today I wanted to fix two problems. My dash lights were intermittently going out and my red LEDs weren't very bright. I found a crack in the circuit board that was causing intermittent connection and traced the problem with a multimeter. I made a big mess with a soldering iron 😀 and a piece of copper wire and enclosed it in hot glue. Today I discovered the brighter LEDs I bought are not canbus polarity. You have to put them in facing the right direction with a 50-50 chance of getting it right. Rather than dick around with pulling the cluster in and out 20 times to get the illumination LEDs facing the right polarity I figured out which connection powers the illumination lights. When facing The back of the cluster the plug on the far right the farthest right pin is ground and the second pin next to it is hot. I took a tabletop 12 volt power supply putting ground to the farthest right pin and the hot to an exposed solder connection shown in the picture below to reduce the chances of accidentally shorting to power the illumination circuit so I could test each LED socket individually.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,180 Posts
They're not CANBUS polarity, they're CAN'TBUS polarity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts