Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ive been wanting to ask this for a while but never got around to it.

my camry 5sfe gen 3 executive model (lowest trim)

problem is, when i turn on my headlights, the spedometer lights up, but the fuel guage and temperature lights do not.

just so you know what im talking about, my camry doesnt have the rpm display. only speed, fuel, and temp.

also my 3rd break light (one in the rear window) and also the break lights on my rear spoiler arent working.

how would i fix this? thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my 92 camry. When I change the lightbulb for the 3rd brakelight, the other breaklights go out, and vice versa. It was driving me crazy until I took it to the dealer and he says it is a common problem for these year of camry. The wiring is run through the trunk and at one section, it is right alongside the trunk support or bracket. So, it flexes whenever the trunk lid is opened and closed. Over time, this can cause cracks to form in a wire or wires. The wiring bundle is encased in a plastic sheath. You can easily see it and access it. He said it was a fairly simple job to cut open the sheath and find out which wire(s) were damaged, and solder them. I was considering trying it myself as it is quite easy to access
the wires, you just have to be very careful when you cut open the plastic
sheath.
I would assume that maybe your other light problems (with the fuel gauge and temperature) are probably due to similar issue. The wiring gets old and becomes faulty. When I turn on my car, my dash lights subtley flicker until the car gets going - don't know what that is either but could be wiring...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts