Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i purchased a 96 camry, 89k miles. already a strange dashboard light has blinked on and off, of course while someone else was driving it so i have no direct experience with it. the car did not come with the owner's manual, how do those things go missing anyway? I can't look up what the light means. It is in the lower left, looks like a car with taillights flashing. Is it a bulb warning light of some kind? What does it mean? Anyone?

·
Registered
75 Posts
you seriously need to get that owners manual for your car. its very useful in the future.

but im not too sure about the lamp since i havent owned a 96 cam, but im guessing broken/misfunction taillights? go check to see if your taillights perform the way the should.

is it blue? if it is, prob high beams on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that manual will come in handy I know, but only so much time in a day. Maybe this weekend.
No the light is not blue it is yellow, and all the exterior lamps are working correctly.
That is what has me baffled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hmm is it the "malfunction indicator lamp"? its yellow and has these little fans along with a small engine symbol thing.

describe the symbol more

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no it isn't like the "check engine" light. but actually has the outline of a top view of a car. then at what looks like the rear of the car where the tail lights would be are these little lines like rays shooting out of the lights. I say the rear because the outline is arranged up and down and the rays are at the bottom.

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
Defininte ID on the rear light malfunction indicator. It's there to tell you there is a bulb burned out in the back of your car. If it isn't on now I wouldn't worry about it until it goes back on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks nut and SLE_6. I figured that this would be the case. But wanted some confirmation, to calm the fears of the one who will be driving it most.
Now do most dealers carry owner's manuals as far back as say 96 or do i need to order one off the toyota sight itself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you are right its to high. toyota will send one to me tomorrow for $16 . so no thanks on the e-bay guy at 25.

ah well thanks for looking.:) :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem Solved
the silly light inside and the brake light outside finally agreed. I was able to finally see which brake light was burned out and replace it. Thanks to all for their patient insight.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts