Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a front/rear camera setup with the main display mounted to the windshield, and the rear camera mounted in the back window as seen here. The rear camera is powered via a long mini-USB cable that runs across the back of the headliner, down the C-pillar, under the seats, and up the A-pillar to the main unit on the windshield.

Since I installed the rear camera, a local FM station that I listen to cuts out constantly while driving (at least 6-8 times on a 10-minute drive). If I unplug the rear camera wire from the main unit, the issue seems to go away (this morning it cut out only one time at an intersection between buildings where this commonly happens).

1. Is this really possible or just a coincidence? And if so...
2. Is there a better way I should be routing this cable, or a better spot for the rear camera? Maybe near the bottom corner of the back window?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you think it might be wiring interference, try temporary routing the rear camera wire in a different location. Nothing neat, Just let it lay across the floor or seats for a few days to see if this eliminates the issue. I just installed a Blackvue 2 channel system in my Camry and so far no radio interference that i can tell. I routed the rear camera wire along the outside edge of the headliner from Lt side C-pillar to Lt frt A-pillar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don’t recall for certain: Aren’t our radios’ antennas in the rear window? If they are, and if the camera you’re using isn’t very well designed or properly & well shielded, it could easily produce enough RF noise that an adjacent antenna could pick it up, and consequently try to overload the radio tuner.

Or, the usb cable could be carrying a lot of interference if the camera is noisy and the usb cable is routed near the FM antenna cable.

So, try a different location for the rear camera as well as different cable routing, and see what happens.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I tried putting the camera in a few different spots around the rear deck and continued to have the same issue. I even just left it sitting in the back seat, nowhere near the back window, to no avail.

I then tested with the rear camera up front, right next to the main unit, with the looooong USB cable coiled up around the post of the rear view mirror. Same problem.

Lastly, I cut the USB cable down and re-spliced it about 18" long, again with the rear camera up front. Same issue. I could make the FM station cut out and in just by unplugging the rear-cam cable from the main unit. So I am blaming the rear camera for this issue and back into the box it goes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Never heard of that cam system before. Definitely looks like some cheap cam system. Probably not shielded properly and the reason it's causing the interference. Spend a little extra money and get a better system.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good advice for anyone else considering one. The front cam works good enough for me to not bother buying another one.
Good enough may just not be "good enough" when you look at the video footage and it looks like it has the picture quality of minecraft.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts