Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found only 2 threads discussing this. But my question is more specific. Coming from a dsm background, I'm curious if all obd1 dataloggers for dsms use the same read out values as the turbo mr2's. Is obd1 the same for all manufacturers? I doubt it but it's worth asking. I have a friend who I might try my dsm logger on his second gen but wanted to know if anyone had specific experiences with this issue beforehand. I appreciate the space to ramble.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The "introduction" of OBDII in 1996 was the beginning of a standard formally required by the DOT. (Hmmm, I think the DOT.) OBDII has requirements right down to where the connectors are, the connector shape, the pinouts, the communication scheme and voltages, and of course, the DTC's (codes).

(Some manufacturers had OBDII compliant cars before 1996, but only a year or two or three.)

OBDI was not really standardized. Go to Wal-Mart and you can find a dozen types of code "readers" for the different makes of cars.

It might surprise you to know that GM had a LOT of on-board diagnostics in their cars in the late 80's and early 90's, much more than most Japanese cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, I appreciate it. Do you know if the 2g guys can pull any of the engine diagnostics in real time off of the diagnostic ports? Looking for a way to datalog without going complete stand alone. It's more of a curiosity question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts