Toyota Nation Forum banner

Daytime Running Light Removal

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dimaoala 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to get rid of the daytime running light sensor??? I can't stand this feature and it messes up my hids.

#2 ·
There's a long thread around here somewhere, but I don't remember the name. A search should find it.

There have been 2 approaches (that I can remember):

1) Snip a blue wire somewhere behind the glove box, which disables and turns off the DRL's completely. ("blue wire" would be a good thing to search for.)

2) Reach up to the sensor and disconnect the wire connector to it. Many of us couldn't reach that far and pried the sensor up; it pops out from above. Then disconnect the wires, tape them up and tape or zip tie to the sensor (so you can retrieve the wire if you decide to hook it up again), then stick the sensor back in the hole. The DRL's still work and you then just use the light switch to turn on/off the headlights.

The dealer did #1 (there's a TSB) on mine, but I really wanted the DRL's for safety reasons. I reconnected the blue wire and then did #2.

#4 ·
^^^^

I tried that on my car and I couldn't find the sensor. I don't know if its cause I have a Xrs or if I just couldn't find it lol. So i just snipped the DRL wire and ran it to a switch so I can control it.

#5 ·
I'm fine with having the DRL so I'm very satisfied with disconnecting the auto light sensor that way. I guess the XRS is different then and has something under the dash that block your access to the sensor by groping cuz it was very easy to locate mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.