Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Your welcome but i didn't find out how to do it, pfstig actually did the write up on how to do it and i just followed it and it worked perfect so everyone can thank pfstig for it...lol the only thing that i did diffrent is that i didn't cut the wire i actually pulled it out of the fuse block and taped it so i can always just plugg it back in with out haveing to butt-connect or solder and heat shrink it. but for me with a 05 toyota highlander is worked perfect and big ups to pfstig. if you need pic i can take them but as for posting them i'm kinda alittle sketchy on that..lol i could put them on photobucket with a link......
I'll be sending you a PM on how to post pics, so check your inbox. Any questions, just send me a return PM. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
326 Posts
I know this is a old thread, but i have just gotting a 05 highlander and wanted the drl disabled and this worked out 4 me as it was the blue relay that was pin 87a white wire with a black trace. you don't have to cut it as there is a tab in the box were the wire goes in that u can use to just pull the wire out and tape it and tuck in in the underside of the fuse box. well to those that are looking for this it does work AAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++

I have cut the wire but have decided to remove it from below the relay. I have a couple of questions though. Does the relay need to be removed to get to the tab to unpin the wire? If so, does the relay just pull out or does it have to be released some way?
cmryhldr

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is only one ground wire that needs to be cut to disable Daytime Running Lights in an 04 Highlander.

Look for a small box labeled "Relay & Fuse" near the Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir.

Open the cover and look for the light blue relay on the far right.

The light blue relay is DRL Relay #3. DRL #3 is a SPDT relay with five wires attached. To gain access to the wires, lift the "Relay & Fuse" box from its bracket (there is a release tab in back) and remove the bottom cover that is held in place by the four corner plastic clips. With the bottom cover removed you can see the five wires that connect to DRL#3. (Reference DRL #3 Pinout & Schematic picture below). The DRL ground wire is located in the center of the relay (#4 Pin) and is white with a black tracer stripe. There are two wires on this relay with this color marking but the one you want is connected to the #4 pin in the center of the relay. When you cut this wire your DRL's will no longer work but all other lighting functions will work as before. If you think you would like to retain DRL's for occasional use then wire an in-line switch to the cut ends of this ground wire.
Worked great for me, except my DRL Relay #3 was not Light Blue. It was black, so it may vary from year to year.

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD
1,303 Posts
This worked AWSOME!! Thank you so much again, now to get new headlights to replace the ones with melted spots in front of the highbeams on them!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your welcome but i didn't find out how to do it, pfstig actually did the write up on how to do it and i just followed it and it worked perfect so everyone can thank pfstig for it...lol the only thing that i did diffrent is that i didn't cut the wire i actually pulled it out of the fuse block and taped it so i can always just plugg it back in with out haveing to butt-connect or solder and heat shrink it. but for me with a 05 toyota highlander is worked perfect and big ups to pfstig. if you need pic i can take them but as for posting them i'm kinda alittle sketchy on that..lol i could put them on photobucket with a link......
2005 highlander with 230k miles. Just got the headlight covers refreshed at the dealer and saw two burn marks right in front of the DRls. I was considering going to LEDs before I realized they share duty with the high beams. I did this mod (used needled nose pliers to pull the wire) and it was easy-breazy. Thanks for all the research that went into this. Even without the pics, the write up was detailed enough to follow without issue.

BTW, I was reading on some other Toyota forums (Tacoma) that they had the same problems with their DRLs. This is a bit of a disappointment that Toyota did not issue some sort of recall or fix since the issue covers several models of vehicles...

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
739 Posts
2005 highlander with 230k miles. Just got the headlight covers refreshed at the dealer and saw two burn marks right in front of the DRls. I was considering going to LEDs before I realized they share duty with the high beams. I did this mod (used needled nose pliers to pull the wire) and it was easy-breazy. Thanks for all the research that went into this. Even without the pics, the write up was detailed enough to follow without issue.

BTW, I was reading on some other Toyota forums (Tacoma) that they had the same problems with their DRLs. This is a bit of a disappointment that Toyota did not issue some sort of recall or fix since the issue covers several models of vehicles...
----------
was this ever posted as a sticky? The photos dont appear for me
I was confused at first , thinking the relays were aligned by the way their picture symbol appears on the fuse box lid, but I think the one on the end away from the fuse is the DRL #3. they have the label on upside down I think.

LAst post here (#8) shows my car. fuse on opposite end from DRL 3
http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/550715-bubbles-04-toyota-headlights.html#post6211876

I did the mod and it seems to work (or not work) success! I cut the wire and taped it

·
Registered
2002 HL Limited
6 Posts
I just performed this diy on my 02 HL Limited. The relay was #2 (maybe the sticky label was upside down? and was the only relay that had 5 wires, the other two had just 4 wires. My relay was the one farthest from the front of the car, and was black colored, with the other two being brown.

I was able to keep the center white wire intact, and not cut it by inserting a very small screwdriver into the cavity where the center white with black line wire leads to the copper colored pin. A small plastic "catch" is easily pushed aside from wire releasing it for taping up for later connection if needed. This part was hard to see so I had to play with it until it released.

Thanks to all for this awesome DIY!

So far I have performed two window motor fixes and now this DRL relay! Fealing like a real mechanic for the moment.

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
739 Posts
I disabled mine by cutting a wire inside the fuse box under the hood, I followed exact instructions off the net off a toyota forum not toyota nation, one of the other ones will try to remember which one, was 3 years ago,
instructions I think were off tundra solutions they have a highlander section I think

·
Registered
2 Posts
Small relay box, 3 relays and 1 fuse on passenger side. Only realay with 5 wires. Released relay box from mount, removed the relay, lifted white terminal lock from top of socket, removed white/black trace wire from center post, taped terminal end of wire, and reassembled.

I'm pleased with all that responded to my question, thanks all!

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
792 Posts
I don't understand why people want to disable DRLs. Me? I was so pleased to find out the 2006 I just acquired had them. They REALLY do help from a safety standpoint. Especially in weird lighting conditions. Sun low behind a car. Without DRL they are darn near invisible or in low light when dipwads don't bother to turn on lights. Having DRLs can mean the difference of seeing them or not.
I even modified the wiring on my Infiniti QX4 to use the fog lights as DRLs. Frankly it should be law here in the US as in Canada

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
739 Posts
I don't understand why people want to disable DRLs. Me? I was so pleased to find out the 2006 I just acquired had them. They REALLY do help from a safety standpoint. Especially in weird lighting conditions. Sun low behind a car. Without DRL they are darn near invisible or in low light when dipwads don't bother to turn on lights. Having DRLs can mean the difference of seeing them or not.
I even modified the wiring on my Infiniti QX4 to use the fog lights as DRLs. Frankly it should be law here in the US as in Canada

because the oem drl bulbs melt the oem plastic lenses on my 04 hl. I got two melted quarter sized spots.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
792 Posts
Are you sure it isn't another issue? My 01 is fine, my 06 is fine also. Though the 06 uses the high beams at half voltage and the 01 either uses a separate bulb or something else but not the high beam. I honestly have not looked at the 01 that closely but I do know it's not the high beams.
Perhaps there is another issue i.e. faulty voltage regulator, what have you causing an over voltage condition

·
Registered
New-To-Me 2006 Highl
23 Posts
because the oem drl bulbs melt the oem plastic lenses on my 04 hl. I got two melted quarter sized spots.
Are you sure it isn't another issue? My 01 is fine, my 06 is fine also. Though the 06 uses the high beams at half voltage and the 01 either uses a separate bulb or something else but not the high beam. I honestly have not looked at the 01 that closely but I do know it's not the high beams.
Perhaps there is another issue i.e. faulty voltage regulator, what have you causing an over voltage condition
I have seen pix on net of same on other cars.
some bulb problem I think
I bought my 2006 Hybrid Limited two years ago with this EXACT problem, and have seen many first gen Highlanders with the "classic" quarter-sized melted lenses where the high beam/DRL's have melted the housing. It's DEFINITELY a Toyota design flaw that should have been corrected under warranty.

I haven't done this mod yet, but will as soon as I replace the headlight assemblies with new ones. When I do that, I will most likely move the DRL function to the fog lights, or add additional LED's to serve that function. I am a great believer in the added safety a DRL setup adds to any car, but that's no excuse for Toyota failing to do it right and correct their mistake. I hate the fact that my high beams no longer work properly because their "throw" is disrupted by the damaged lenses.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
2013HL Ltd V6 AWD
37 Posts
I recently picked up an 06 HL Limited. I was going thru all the maintenance DIYs here as I get it ready to put it on the road in a month or so, and I came across this thread on the DRLs. I like DRLs on some of our cars and trucks, and don't like them on others. For many years, I've been shutting down the DRLs, when desired, by simply pulling the DRL fuse. When I go to sell the vehicle, I put the fuse back in, if necessary, as the next owner will get it just like it came from the factory. This brings me to my DRLs question on this 06 HL. I looked at the 06 owner's manual, and it shows that fuse # 48, in the engine compartment, is the DRL 7.5A fuse. Is this thread saying that if I remove this fuse, it will shut down more than just the DRLs? I'd much rather avoid a mod by simply pulling the DRL fuse.

I will test this out, but thought I'd get some forum input too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, does any know the "time is takes in labour," to change a timing belt kit for a 2001 Highlander 6cyl.? I've been told it takes about 5 hrs... does this sound correct?

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
792 Posts
Hi, does any know the "time is takes in labour," to change a timing belt kit for a 2001 Highlander 6cyl.? I've been told it takes about 5 hrs... does this sound correct?

What does this have to do with daytime running lights?
As to your question................Are asking what a professional takes or a DIY with no real production shop experience working against the flat rate tables?
A pro with a lift I would think if nothing breaks maybe 4 to 6 hours. Someone working flat on their back and a little old and pudgy well...................a full day :D

21 - 40 of 41 Posts