Toyota Nation Forum banner

De Badging ????

1918 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Pb
I got a newb question for you all. I just bought my 06 Double Cab long bed 4x4. I want to take off all the badges, but just to make sure that is even possible before I attempt it. Just want to make sure there are not any holes or mounts hiding under any of the badges, including the side badges near the front door. Thanks.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,765 Posts
there are no holes or anything like that, lots of people have done it, go for it. search debadge or debadging and you will find some stuff on how people debadges their trucks.

· Registered
2015 Tacoma DC
438 Posts
oxnard111 said:
I got a newb question for you all. I just bought my 06 Double Cab long bed 4x4. I want to take off all the badges, but just to make sure that is even possible before I attempt it. Just want to make sure there are not any holes or mounts hiding under any of the badges, including the side badges near the front door. Thanks.
The Only badge scewed on is the badge inside the front grille.

You can use some strong dental floss or fishing line a heat gun or hair dryer and a bottle of Goo Gone or automotive grade bug and tar remover. Heat the badges up and run the floss/line behind the badge. Then use the Goo Gone remover to take off the sticky glue that is left behind from the badge.

Welcome to the fourms.

Enjoy

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, I've removed adhesive held badges before. I took all the badges off my old RSX and my buddy's SRT-4. Thanks for the welcome. I love my truck1

· Registered
319 Posts
MrSmitty said:
The Only badge scewed on is the badge inside the front grille.
Actually, it just clips in there at three points. The ten and two are clips, the six is more like a stud (doesn't flex as much). Don't even need to remove the grill to get it out. That is, unless we're talking about two different ones...

I'd recommend using fishing line over floss. I tried the floss route and went through about forty yards of it 'cause the stupid pieces kept breaking. :headbang: Then again, I was being really conservative with the heatgun since I'd never done it before. :rolleyes:

· Registered
87 Posts
go for it, dude. I debadged mine and love it. I don't think any automaker uses bolt on anymore because it seems like it would promote rust. goof off is a good solvent to get off the excess adhesive, better than goo gone IMO and in my experience did not hurt the paint.

+1 on using fishing line over floss. floss breaks way to easily

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kytaco said:
go for it, dude. I debadged mine and love it. I don't think any automaker uses bolt on anymore because it seems like it would promote rust. goof off is a good solvent to get off the excess adhesive, better than goo gone IMO and in my experience did not hurt the paint.

+1 on using fishing line over floss. floss breaks way to easily
You'd be surprised about them holes. My RSX had one on the center emblem in the rear.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I definatly know about Goof Off. I ride stand up jet skis and Goof Off is used all the time to take stuff off. I just did a bunch of glass work on my Yamaha SuperJet. Used about one whole spray can of Goof-Off to remove all the adhesive from the old Mats on that came off the ski in order to do the glassing. Here is a link to my build thread on a mainly Stand-Up Jetski Forum. Gotta Love the X-H20

http://www.x-h2o.com/showthread.php?t=7822

· Nikon S10 too!
17 Posts
I used a hair drier set on medium and a kite string rated at 150lbs.

Worked great and allowed the emblems to remain intact and undamaged, if I decide to reuse.

The kite string removed most all of the adhesive so cleanup was much easier.

Had a fellow Taco follow me on the freeway the other day trying to figure out what I was driving, he would follow up close, pass on the left, and only waved after he saw my grill in his rearview mirror. :lol:

· Registered
2015 Tacoma DC
438 Posts
oxnard111 said:
You'd be surprised about them holes. My RSX had one on the center emblem in the rear.
Yes I hear yeah, I have read horror stories of guys removing the "A" from their Acura CL-S's and needing to go get the trunk repainted. I debadge only the A C U R A, off my Acura 3 years ago. No worries with the Tacoma though, it was simple.

· Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,691 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with Goo Gone. It's a lot safer than Goof Off. Goof Off is pretty strong, and could cause some hazing in the clearcoat. I only use Goof Off when I have no other options. You can also use polish or a cleaner wax to get the sticky off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.