Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2003 Highlander that the battery has gone dead, so now the only key I have will not unlock any door. The key has been used before on the doors, so I know it’s not a valet key. I’ve tried all 3 locks several times with no luck. Any suggestions on either how to get in the vehicle or how to open the hood to charge the battery? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Are you talking about a physical key or a key fob. Not sure how a physical key cannot unlock a door unless you never use it and the lock is frozen stuck. Otherwise all I can suggest to you is to pay a tow truck to open the door for you. You can maybe call the police and they may do it free. Or you can order a kit and you can try to do it yourself. (I called the tow guy and he got the door opened in less than one minute vs my two hours of prying and damaging my car, your call on what you want to do)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I’ve never seen this, but here’s what happened. I finally got in the truck and tried to start it. Started right away. No dead battery as I thought. However, the power locks still wouldn’t work, nor the key to unlock the doors. Played with this a while with no luck.
So I replaced the battery in the fob. Not sure why I thought of this, but I did. And everything started to work. Doors lock and unlock just like they should. Now why the key would not unlock anything before replacing the fob battery, I don’t know. It works now.
So if this happens to someone, try replacing the fob battery first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve had a similar problem and found that the door will unlock from the passenger side but you need to turn the key the opposite direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
MortalKombatu
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing