Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pontiac Vibe
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some unknown reason, my dome light has ceased to work. It hasn't been working for many years in fact, but I just bought the car from my mom (the original owner) last October. I would really like to have a dome light in there. It's not much fun having to feel around in the dark to find something.... especially a flashlight so I can look for something else I need.

Before anyone asks.... no, it's not the bulb. :rolleyes:

There isn't any voltage at the wires in the ceiling that plug into the light fixture. I have inspected all of the fuses under the hood and at the driver's side kick panel, none are blown. Everything else electrically on the car is functioning as it should except for that dome light.

·
Registered
38 Posts
myb door switches? little light comes on in gauge cluster when you open door?
mine switches were dead too...

oh.. forgot... if the light doesnt work when light switch is ON,then that is not the problem :(

just make a new wiring... thats not hard to do :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have 12V at the dome fuse, but none at the light, it's probably the wire in between. I think the dome light housing is two screws, maybe try popping it off and seeing if the wires somehow came undone. As noted above, the door switches aren't helpful in the diagnosis of a completely dead light as they are only a grounding point. Hope this helps! I don't know what I'd do without my dome light...

·
Registered
2003 Pontiac Vibe
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
myb door switches? little light comes on in gauge cluster when you open door?
mine switches were dead too...

oh.. forgot... if the light doesnt work when light switch is ON,then that is not the problem :(

just make a new wiring... thats not hard to do :)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. The cluster indicator/switches for "open door" still works on all 4 doors. As I said, there isn't ANY voltage at the wires even with the door open and the cluster "door open" light lit up. The cluster light turns off when the doors are shut properly so it's not a door switch problem.

·
Registered
2003 Pontiac Vibe
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have 12V at the dome fuse, but none at the light, it's probably the wire in between. I think the dome light housing is two screws, maybe try popping it off and seeing if the wires somehow came undone. As noted above, the door switches aren't helpful in the diagnosis of a completely dead light as they are only a grounding point. Hope this helps! I don't know what I'd do without my dome light...
As I previously stated, I completely removed the fixture and checked for voltage at the wires [with a door open]. I guess I will refer to the Haynes manual to see if I can figure it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts