Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than 6k on the odometer and my truck is dead heres the full story

so as i get in my truck last night on my way home from work my battery light comes on so i pull over and check the battery the little gauge in the battery is still green so i carry on to my house. i get to my house undo the negative terminal and plug it back on. light still on, i realize i have to leave it off for longer, so i leave it off overnight. Flash forward to this morning i reconnect the terminal and light is still on so as i am driving to the dealership(which is another story) everything just starts going crazy. the best way i can describe it is "the shit has hit the fan and exploded all over the motor" my abs light starts flashing stereo turns off brake light comes on all the dash lights start tripping out the engine just starts reving itself, as i floor the accelerater the tach goes to 0 and the car shuts off so as i push the car into the parking lot i see all the salesman stop and look at me and watch a 17 yearold kid push his 5 month old tacoma into the lot. logically the would help right? o hell no they wouldnt want to sweat in their suits. so someone finally comes from the service department with some kind of car pushing contraption and says try and start it. ok i said and crank the motor over after about 6 seconds of cranking it starts up and sounds like a cammed out 5.0 mustang(minus all of the actuall loudness)and he says drive it into service so i have to rev it to 3,000 rpm just to have enough power to get it to move(its also standard so there was alot of clutching going on). i get it into service and after waiting for about 45 minutes the service guy comes up and starts to right up the report and says "is there anything aftermarket in this truck?" nope just the alarm i said. he replies "well if i start tearing into this thing and find anything aftermarket your gonna have to pay for it, and he said it with such an attitude that i just wanted to knock the cnot out of him. so he said go talk to the shuttle people to get a ride home. and here i am at my house after having listen to and a man from india tell me about his war stories.

so my point is any ideas on what could be going on with my beloved tacoma?

·
Go Sharks!!!
06 tacoma prerunner
1,350 Posts
sounds like a bad alternator

and as far as aftermarket goes, if they can't prove it was the reason the truck died they have to cover it under warrenty, ALOT of people get deceived by their dealership. Then give that fucker a swift kick in the balls for being a douche.

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have no idea how bad i wanted just to hit that guy, he said that he thinks its my clutch and i said no its electrical and not mechanical

THe only electrical mod i have done is the fogs on and i didnt have time to reverse it so are they gonna blame it on that?

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
06RadiantTacoma said:
you have no idea how bad i wanted just to hit that guy, he said that he thinks its my clutch and i said no its electrical and not mechanical

THe only electrical mod i have done is the fogs on and i didnt have time to reverse it so are they gonna blame it on that?
Don't say anything about the mod. Let them figure out what they think is wrong with the truck first. Tech's are well known for not knowing what's really wrong until they start testing it.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Id agree that it sounds like an alternator issue. I could see them trying to blame it on you by stating that the fog lights put more electrical load on the truck than it could handle. Its a BS claim, but I could see a stealership trying to pull that kinda BS on you.

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would the alternator just start cutting out randomly though? the lights would njust flash on and flash off the motor would shut off and then wind itself back on. if the alt was out would the current just stop and the motor shut off right after it?

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Doesn't sound like a simple alternator problem, sounds more like a something is shorting and may have possibly fried your ECU. Hard to say though. I've had a bad alternator before and things just start to slowly die once the battery drains down. Your interior lights will dim and then you'll have nothing. That's what happened on my old car anyway.

Good luck anyway, hopefully things work out for you.

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
SJlittlefoot said:
sounds like a bad alternator

and as far as aftermarket goes, if they can't prove it was the reason the truck died they have to cover it under warrenty, ALOT of people get deceived by their dealership. Then give that fucker a swift kick in the balls for being a douche.
Forget the swift kick in the balls.

Give him a roundhouse to the face.

Chuck Norris style.

Good luck! You should be fine!

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
sorry to hear that man. MOST sales guys are fucken assholes. i work at a VW dealer and they only come around when they need something but when they are asked for a favor they walk away so i always keep a rule of thumb, i say fuck them till they do something for me.

ok enough of them. the service guy is being a prick because you are young and unless you signed the R.O. with a diagnostic charge you dont have to pay anything even if they found the problem to be your alarm.

alot of guys are thinking your alternator and it could be because when your running on your battery most control modules dont work properly with low voltage so your battery was draining the more you were driving it. its just a posibility. hopefully you get your truck back soon and dont let them try and take advantage of the situation.

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
Battery has a bad Cell in it. Causing a internal short. I have had this happen to me with other vehicles. Have you made any emergency or very hard to the point of lock up stops.

I had this happen to me about a month ago someone cut me off and I stood on the brake peddle with everything I had. Drove on to my destination with no problems came back out and started the vehicle and it ran like Sh-t all the lights in the dash where flashing and the vehicle would not rev or even move out of the parking spot. Replaced the battery and everthing was fine.

speedway blue.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Good info Speedway. At least I will know what this is if something similiar happens to my truck. I would suspect that is what is wrong with the original posters truck. The symptoms sound the same.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Speedway blue said:
Battery has a bad Cell in it. Causing a internal short. I have had this happen to me with other vehicles. Have you made any emergency or very hard to the point of lock up stops.

I had this happen to me about a month ago someone cut me off and I stood on the brake peddle with everything I had. Drove on to my destination with no problems came back out and started the vehicle and it ran like Sh-t all the lights in the dash where flashing and the vehicle would not rev or even move out of the parking spot. Replaced the battery and everthing was fine.

speedway blue.
That is a good possibility. The ECU needs a good battery to operate correctly. It's not like the cars of yester year when you could drive it without a battery.
But since the green light was on???? That's strange??
I guess you just have to wait and see what they come up with?
But as for the Rude service guy??? You should get his name and file an official complaint. If the service manager doesn't address the issue to your satisfaction? Then call Toyota U.S.A.

Let us know what come out of the diagnostics??

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys so much your help is much appreciated :thumbup:
some more info:

The rental guy was out of town and the guy that was suppose to cover him called in sick so they cant do any rentals, and they wont reimburse for a rental. so my family is stuck with 1 vehicle and we have three people that have to go to work everyday so thats not fun.

The techs cant start diagnosing it till tuesday cause dealership is closed on Sunday and Monday for presidents day.

The the sad part is as im typing this there is an ad on the tv about how reliable the tacoma is:sosad: makes me miss my taquita

Thanks again for all your help :thumbsup: ill keep you all informed as the whole thing playes out

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a battery guy, I'd say both the battery and the alternator have died. Somebody was right when they said the ECM didn't have enough voltage. You need 8 volts to the ECM to keep it functional, sounds like you fell below that reading. I saw alot of this kind of problem before I came here. What usually happens is the battery dies first, the alternator than tries to carry the full load and burns up then you have what little voltage is left in the battery to run on, plus if you have the radio or headlights, or foglights in your case, thats pulling a load also. My bet is that you will need a new battery and alternator and nothing else.

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so when i go to the dealership i should suggest checking the alternator output voltage and the battery ? anything else you guys can think of cause any hints that will help them figure out what is wrong is helpful

·
Troyslegacy
155 Posts
Alternator Madness!

I am 99% sure the symptoms you are having are caused by a bad alternator. I was driving my Mom's BMW 530i in SC in 2005 on the way from the Charleston Airport down to the beach. First problem happened at the airport where the car wouldn't start. After jumping the car off we headed back down to the beach. On the way down the highway the radio started going crazy and all of the lights in the dash were lighting up and going crazy. The engine power was also greatly reduced (it felt like I was driving a Ford Fiesta not a BMW). Luckily we were able to roll down an off-ramp to a gas station where we were promptly rained on. I was telling my Mom that it had to be a bad battery or alternator, unfortunately it turned out to be a bad alternator (the more expensive of the two). Alternators are finicky items at best and go at random times (new or old). I would guess after you have it replaced that will solve your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it's a reputable dealership, they should immediately look at the battery first, when they see it's discharged, than they should test the alternator. but you can certainly help them along by letting them know what you think the issue is. Make sure they charge the battery before they test it, this is a trick that some dealerships like to play so that they can sell a new overpriced battery. Good luck.

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so if it turns out to be a bad battery or alternator or even both that should be fully covered by warranty right?
if its not i guess that just means my truck is getting a new optima battery:naughty:

·
what rock? oops...
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i got my tacoma back!!:whatwhat:

so the dealer replaced the alternator and so far that was the only thing wrong. sounds great and simple but of course not they didnt install it right or something cause now the bearing in the new alternator whines. it actually sounds like a supercharger, a really small supercharger but hey im just happy to have my truck back.

The service manager ordered another new alternator and i will take my truck in probably on thursday and have them install the second new alternator.

So everyone that said my alternator was bad you all win the grand prize!

·
What is this!?
06 Double Cab Tacoma
821 Posts
06RadiantTacoma said:
Yeah i got my tacoma back!!:whatwhat:

so the dealer replaced the alternator and so far that was the only thing wrong. sounds great and simple but of course not they didnt install it right or something cause now the bearing in the new alternator whines. it actually sounds like a supercharger, a really small supercharger but hey im just happy to have my truck back.

The service manager ordered another new alternator and i will take my truck in probably on thursday and have them install the second new alternator.

So everyone that said my alternator was bad you all win the grand prize!
Good to hear that your tacoma didn't crap out on you :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts