Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But they weren't supposed to. I brought my '11 in for its 5,000 mile service, which accounts for just a tire rotation. The service writer wrote it up as "oil/lube/rotate" or something. I think it was one of the standard choices from their computer pick list. Maybe he didn't notice that I had the 2AR-FE engine, or recall that the oil change interval is 10,000 miles. So they changed the oil as well as the tire rotation. :thumbsup:

I asked about it and the service writer in the afternoon (different person) said they let this one get by them. :naughty: He confirmed the oil change shouldn't have happened yet, but they'll bill it to the free maintenance company and will have to eat the cost if they deny the oil change.

So those of you who have the free maintenance and don't want to bother with the 5,000 mile service because it's "just a tire rotation", bring it by. They might just mess up and give you a free oil change. :clap:

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Well, look at the bright side :D:lol::thumbsup::clap: you can now go up to 15K before you have to pay for the oil, or go back at 10k and make them do it again. In any event it shouldn't cost you anything for their mistake one way or another, now or down the road when it really should be changed.

But they weren't supposed to. I brought my '11 in for its 5,000 mile service, which accounts for just a tire rotation. The service writer wrote it up as "oil/lube/rotate" or something. I think it was one of the standard choices from their computer pick list. Maybe he didn't notice that I had the 2AR-FE engine, or recall that the oil change interval is 10,000 miles. So they changed the oil as well as the tire rotation. :thumbsup:

I asked about it and the service writer in the afternoon (different person) said they let this one get by them. :naughty: He confirmed the oil change shouldn't have happened yet, but they'll bill it to the free maintenance company and will have to eat the cost if they deny the oil change.

So those of you who have the free maintenance and don't want to bother with the 5,000 mile service because it's "just a tire rotation", bring it by. They might just mess up and give you a free oil change. :clap:

·
Registered
271 Posts

Congrats

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, look at the bright side :D:lol::thumbsup::clap: you can now go up to 15K before you have to pay for the oil, or go back at 10k and make them do it again. In any event it shouldn't cost you anything for their mistake one way or another, now or down the road when it really should be changed.
The free maintenance period is 2 years or 25,000 miles. Normally, you'd get two oil changes for free (one at 10k and one at 20k). Looks like I'll get at least three. They changed it at 5k, so it'd be reasonable to expect them to not change it again until 15k, then again at 25k.

Or, maybe they'll do it at 10k, then again at 20k. Either way, it's a good thing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
free maintence oil change

I bought a LE 2.5 AR- FE in June. I called customer service about the 5000 mi check. I asked about the severe condition OCI since I live on a dirt road. I was told I would have to pay for the change if I wanted a 5k oci. I asked about the Toyota 0W-20 oil. I was told that Havoline/Texaco makes it and it is only a comercial product not retail. That is why I don't see it in the stores. I called a couple of dealers and was told they use Mobil 1 since Toyota oil is on back order. Before taking the car keys I had to go thru an orientation with a girl who couldn't give me answers to questions like how do you adjust the dash lights, or TPM questions, she told me the warning light would go on if I had too much pressure as well as low pressure. Also only 2 snow tires would be needed but I really didn't need them since she doesn't need them! Anyone have info on the specifics of the Toyota oil ie base 3 or 4?
Bob

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I bought a LE 2.5 AR- FE in June. I called customer service about the 5000 mi check. I asked about the severe condition OCI since I live on a dirt road. I was told I would have to pay for the change if I wanted a 5k oci. I asked about the Toyota 0W-20 oil. I was told that Havoline/Texaco makes it and it is only a comercial product not retail. That is why I don't see it in the stores. I called a couple of dealers and was told they use Mobil 1 since Toyota oil is on back order. Before taking the car keys I had to go thru an orientation with a girl who couldn't give me answers to questions like how do you adjust the dash lights, or TPM questions, she told me the warning light would go on if I had too much pressure as well as low pressure. Also only 2 snow tires would be needed but I really didn't need them since she doesn't need them! Anyone have info on the specifics of the Toyota oil ie base 3 or 4?
Bob
The 0w20 is made by Mobil and said to be formulated for Toyota.
you can buy quarts at Toyota/Lexus or online.I bought a case of 12 from a Toyota dealer on Ebay for $77 shipped.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Toyota's 0W-20 is blended by ExxonMobil and is specific to Toyota. It's not the same as the Mobil 1 0W-20 you'll find on the Walmart shelf. The Toyota oil has a lot of molybdenum (an anti-wear additive), more than most other oils. My dealer sells the oil for $6.75/quart, which is rather competitive. The Mobil 1 0W-20 at Walmart is $6.37/quart, and I like the Toyota Denso oil filters at the dealer anyway, which sell for $5, give or take a few cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2011 OCI for synthetic oil

I have been changing oil on an Audi 2000 A4 1.8 quattro 10 years now. Must use synthetic due to sludge tendencies. On their forums there seems to quite a debate about oil change early in a new car the old break in oil philosphy but with new oils, espcially synthetic is is necessary? Seems like a new engine should have lots of stuff floating around in the oil. I bought a case of filter cartridges on Ebay from a Cal. dealer. Got the Toyota filters for $30+10 shipping with $5 bucks off from Paypal-Citi on the buy now pay later offer. That comes out to $3.50 a filter. The 10 should last a while even if I go with the 5K OCI.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aren't we supposed to do oil change every 5000 miles or 6 months? I do my own oil change every 6 months with Mobil 1 synthetic + OEM oil filters on ebay, $40 for 10 filters :)

·
Registered
15 Avalon Touring SE
342 Posts
The free maintenance period is 2 years or 25,000 miles. Normally, you'd get two oil changes for free (one at 10k and one at 20k). Looks like I'll get at least three. They changed it at 5k, so it'd be reasonable to expect them to not change it again until 15k, then again at 25k.

Or, maybe they'll do it at 10k, then again at 20k. Either way, it's a good thing! :thumbsup:
Does your invoice state that they used synthetic oil? Any parts numbers available? The only thing that worries me about your situation is that they may have used conventional oil since the screwed up on the interval. Please double check your repair order and make sure they charged out the synthetic.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
The good news is that even if they did screw up and use the non synthetic 5w-20 it says in the maintenance log that you just put 0w-20 in next time. They don't recommend doing it but it won't blow up your engine.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does your invoice state that they used synthetic oil? Any parts numbers available? The only thing that worries me about your situation is that they may have used conventional oil since the screwed up on the interval. Please double check your repair order and make sure they charged out the synthetic.
They used the right oil. More precisely, they used:

5 0W20 0W20 M OIL-MIN 1

Where '5' is the QTY, the first '0W20' is the FP NUMBER and the rest is the DESCRIPTION.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
yep, this just happened to me today as well.

my 2010 reached it's 5,000 miles. i had bought a few TRD oil filters. i told the service adviser to have the guy change the filter, and add the oil. it was going to cost me $10 for this.

i had the tire rotation done, and the tech found i had a nail in a tire, so he fixed that, which i had to pay.

when the bill came up, the adviser saw the tech changed the oil, and the crush drain plug gasket, which i was told, is always replaced when an oil change is done.

i was not charged for the oil, which is $6.95 per quart. i was not charged for the oil drain plug gasket, nor the tire rotation (which is included in my service plan).

just the flat repair/rebalance.

but i will go back at 10,000 miles and have the oil changed again.

i ain't about to skip a service interval.

and he used the bottles 0 w20 synthetic.

·
Registered
2011 camry SE
105 Posts

i have an 11

and on my free 2 year oil change it says every 5000 miles they change my oil

and i went and they changed it for me plus the rotation and inspection shit

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
Toyota has 2 year free maintenance ?

for at least the 2009's, 2010's and 2011's...........i cannot tell yo about earlier years.

my bro-n-law has a 2009, he gets free service for 2 years. oil/filter changes and rotations every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts

Now, of course, if they used the 'bottom tier' 5W30 bulk oil, you will NEED to get a change in 5K miles. And suffer the reduced MPG during the time.:facepalm::facepalm:

The extended interval applies only with 0W20 synthetic - bets are off if the didn't use that.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The extended interval applies only with 0W20 synthetic - bets are off if the didn't use that.
Correct: the 10k mile interval applies only to 0W-20 oil. The invoice lists 5 quarts of 0W-20 oil, listing at $6.75 each. So I'm pretty sure they used the correct oil.

·
Registered
762 Posts
A recent Blackstone Labs report in BITOG on dealer changed oil in a Gen 6 I 4 indicated the oil to be "more like a 5W30" (he V6 oil) than the 20 weight which is supposed to be in that engine.
I don't trust the stealer droids.

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,472 Posts
A recent Blackstone Labs report in BITOG on dealer changed oil in a Gen 6 I 4 indicated the oil to be "more like a 5W30" (he V6 oil) than the 20 weight which is supposed to be in that engine.
I don't trust the stealer droids.
Nothing wrong with 5w30 in the i4 Camry from that year. It was originally specced for 5w30 in the Gen5 Camrys, but was changed for Gen6 so Toyota could eek out every little drop of MPG for the EPA. Most people here recommend 5w30 in that engine to keep the oil consumption at bay, and occasionally to quiet it down a bit. I stopped using 0w20 in my old Camry because of both those issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts