Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else remove this?....I did just before removing the dealer installed swirl marks on wifey's HL.....

Most of the time they don't look good and end up looking worse over time, I have always removed them on any vehicle I've bought new (can be difficult on cars more than a few months old) ...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have not seen pinstripes on a 2014 Highlander. But now I would like to. :>)

I wish you had snapped a picture of yours before removing them. Being a child of the 60s, I love all manner of pinstripe and chrome. My dreams of heaven are wrapped in chrome pinstripes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone else remove this?....I did just before removing the dealer installed swirl marks on wifey's HL.....

Most of the time they don't look good and end up looking worse over time, I have always removed them on any vehicle I've bought new (can be difficult on cars more than a few months old) ...
I did it once and used goo gone, the pin stripe came off easily. Did not use anything to cause swirl marks? Now I tell the salesman NO Pin Stripes, plate holder on the front, Dealer stickers or decals....

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
I cannot imagine a pinstripe looking good on a Highlander. I have pinstriped hundreds of cars over the years and frankly, pinsteiping is out of style. Beyond that, thw style lines on an HL don't lend themselves to pinstriping. Pinstriping is best utilized on vehicles that have a distinct 'headlight to tail light' body line to accentuate. Vehicles like the HL, Equinoxn SF....which have a truncated downward sweeping line that end into the rear of the front wheel well are visually horrible places to pinstripe....same gors with a Buick Enclave...people try to do a few segmented arcing stripes over the wheel well flares and it makes a nice car look ghetto. I won't even stripe my own cars...it's so out of fashion. I did reluctantly steipe my 72 yrar old neighbors' Enclave a few years ago at his insistance...couldn't talk him out of it....he liked it but it looks ridiculous to me

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removed mine two days after purchase so no need for any chemical assistance, they pulled off fairly easily...

The swirls weren't due to pinstripe removal, they were all over over the car due to improper washing techniques by the dealer, not terrible but bad enough to irk me...lol, hence the reason I never ever let the dealer wash any of my cars during service appts....

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Usually, heating the stripe up with a hair dryer or heat gun will soften the adhesive of the pinstripe and allow you to slowly pull it off without leaving behind too much residue. The older the stripe, the harder to remove and more residue to remove. I would say up to about 3-5 years isn't too bad for removal. You are corrwct in using GooGone to clean up the adhesive residue left behind... wash the GooGone off with soapy watwr and rinse when done.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not a pinstripe but I had a heck of a time removing the 2 emission/inspection stickers that are placed on the lower inside left side of the windshield required by Pennsylvania. I used the hairdryer, got it really hot, even burned my knuckles in a few places while trying to pull them off. They tore off is small strips. It took longer than I was hoping to get them off. The only easy part was using some Goo Gone to remove the residual glue on the windshield. sheesh.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I HATE those dealer options...They add pin striping (which costs them about $90) and then up the price by $500.

I don't buy from a dealer that does this cr*p. Let them screw someone else. The real good dealers NEVER add options unless the customer wants them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not a pinstripe but I had a heck of a time removing the 2 emission/inspection stickers that are placed on the lower inside left side of the windshield required by Pennsylvania. I used the hairdryer, got it really hot, even burned my knuckles in a few places while trying to pull them off. They tore off is small strips. It took longer than I was hoping to get them off. The only easy part was using some Goo Gone to remove the residual glue on the windshield. sheesh.
Not emission stickers but I removed a couple stickers (Toyo Guard and Clear paint protection)from the same area that were a PIA to remove. Like you, Goo Gone took off the leftover adhesive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.