Toyota Nation Forum banner

Dealer says I need a tune-up. What will they do?

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  wiswind 
#1 ·
My 2016 Camry has 114,000 miles, and does not run as smoothly as it used to. I've never mentioned it to the dealer, but the last couple of times I've brought it in for an oil change, they said I need a tune-up.

What will the Toyota dealer do on a "tune-up"? Should I ask them to do something else?

#3 ·
You will have to ask the dealer for a detailed list of items included in the "tune-up" and what the cost is. Back in the old days before electronic fuel injection, etc, a tune-up meant a certain set of things, but that is no longer the case. Based on the list of things the dealer wants to do, you can select just those that you think are relevant and that you can't do yourself.

But tune-ups generally include changing spark plugs. If your spark plugs have not been replaced, that might be a good idea, as they generally last about 100K miles.

Have you changed your engine air filter according to recommended maintenance interval in the warranty and maintenance guide? This is something you can do yourself. Same with cabin air filter.

The dealer might want to charge you for cleaning the fuel injectors, but you can do this yourself by adding some Chevron Fuel Injector cleaner into your gas tank. You can find this at any auto or discount store (in the automotive department).

It is best to use gas from these TopTier brands to make sure your engine is staying clean:

#4 ·
Try some Chevron techron fuel system cleaner first. It might solve your problem by itself. It probably needs a "tune up" but that most likely will not solve the problem unless they get lucky with their first guess. At my shop I changed 30k mile plugs at 100k, had twice the gap they had when new and it made no difference in the way the car ran.
Injector flow and spray patterns deteriorate over time and miles and a bottle or two is your best insurance to prevent you picking up the car and paying the bill, without your issue being resolved.
The they will tell you it needed the maintenance done and now they will diagnose the problem for more money.
No guarantee except that you wallet will not be significantly lighter versus the cost of some good EFI cleaner (I only recommend Techron and I have no interest in the company other than that product works).
I've see techron clear out a injector that was so bad it did nothing below 2k rpm, dead miss below that rpm.

#5 ·
Definitely spark plugs, they are due anyway.
Dealer being dealer will also "recommend"
  • new air filter
  • new cabin filter
  • possibly new brake pads/struts
  • transmission flush
  • coolant flush (coolant is actually good till 150K miles)
  • brake fluid flush
- serpentine belt is due and legit to replace
They will likely think of some more items. Id' guess, to the tune of around $2000 or so.
Post back if I were wrong.

#7 ·
Spark plugs
fuel injector cleaning service
throttle plate cleaning service
transmission fluid & filter replacement
coolant replacement
brake fluid replacement
engine air filter
serpentine drive belt

All these services needed (except fuel injector service if you've been using a top-tier gasoline) if you expect maintain reliability and avoid expensive future repairs like catalytic converter and transmission replacement . All can be done yourself if willing to study the factory maintenance manual, youtube videos and are willing to buy some quality tools like a dedicated metric spec spark plug wrench and genuine toyota replacement parts and fluids.

#10 ·
I asked the dealer. A tune-up will involve replacing the spark plugs. Cost: $175.00 plus tax. Couple questions:

They're recommended replacing the transmission fluid. I read somewhere that you don't need to replace the transmission fluid on the newer Camrys (such as my 2016), that the original fluid will last the life of the car. True?

Also, what are the best spark plugs for a 16 Camry? I've heard platinum are good. I could buy them and have a local repair shop put them in for well under $100.

#11 ·
They're recommended replacing the transmission fluid. I read somewhere that you don't need to replace the transmission fluid on the newer Camrys (such as my 2016), that the original fluid will last the life of the car. True?
If you do not change the fluid, it will last the life of the car--but only in the sense that once your transmission fries, the car's life is over.

Toyota does not recommend a specific replacement interval, but the fluid does not have infinite life. It's not wise to never replace the fluid. You should change it. Fluid changes are cheaper than a new transmission.

#12 ·
If you have GR-FE spark plugs are BIG JOB like 3-5 hour job. Which the intake manifold, windshield wiper system gets taken off so the tech has access to rear spark plugs. But you do get new intake manifold gasket.

If you have the 2AR-FE is half hour job.

These spark plugs can be changed out every 120k miles.

Now 100k service consist of coolant flush. I would make sure the water pump is quiet and leak free. If its not; I highly recommend new water pump before it sounds like "shaken cans in a bag". If you want to make sure the water pump stays in good shape...Bring in Zerex Asian (pink) to the dealer. Get two gallons! Valvoline makes this coolant and its has higher coolant than water ratio compared to Toyota's. Seriously, its darker colored; I'm using it and going 267k on original water pump. Toyota's is more water based and its what causing water pump problems on vehicles.

Another good service to get at 100k-120k mark. Get brake services done! Unless you did get new brakes done within past 10k-25 then you're fine. These pads LOVE to seize up in the caliper holder which causes premature wear.

#14 ·
My 2016 Camry has 114,000 miles, and does not run as smoothly as it used to. I've never mentioned it to the dealer, but the last couple of times I've brought it in for an oil change, they said I need a tune-up.

What will the Toyota dealer do on a "tune-up"? Should I ask them to do something else?
Why not just ask them and get it in writing with quote and waranty?

#15 ·
I would use EXACTLY the spark plug that the owner's manual calls for.
There may be spark plug information on the emission label under the hood.
There may be a Denso and a NGK number specified at OEM.
DENSO SK16HR11 is what is called for my 2016 4 cylinder as per the owner's manual (available at Toyota website)
Rockauto lists 3 different Denso Iridium plugs for my car.....I had to look in the "more information" to find the Denso number I listed above.
It was the Iridium "long life" plug, not the TT or Power plugs.
For my 2016, the owner's manual says to use ONLY Iridium plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.